Thread: COREL ?:Importing a clipart to convert to bitmap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

COREL ?:Importing a clipart to convert to bitmap

I ran into a problem trying to engrave an image to a ceramic coffee mug. Created an image on a different computer using clipart and Word for text. Imported image and got the white ghostly image around the lines of the engraving. Ditched the file and created new inside of the Corel program. Worked out great.

My question is why did the ghostly background show up?? Had my salesman show me several weeks ago how to get rid of the 'dam white box'. Slept overnight and forgot what he did. Seemed pretty easy. I believe he converted the clipart to a bitmap. I have tried this and failed attempts.

Do jpeg images convert to bitmap in Corel successfully? If so how? The new file I made I used a gif clipart image. The gif file worked out just fine. Is it a prefered method to use gif or tif images instead of jpeg???

Patrick Lloyd
    The Pearland Mail Box Store
    Pearland, TX

Epilog Mini 18, 30 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lloyd View Post
    I ran into a problem trying to engrave an image to a ceramic coffee mug. Created an image on a different computer using clipart and Word for text. Imported image and got the white ghostly image around the lines of the engraving. Ditched the file and created new inside of the Corel program. Worked out great.

My question is why did the ghostly background show up?? Had my salesman show me several weeks ago how to get rid of the 'dam white box'. Slept overnight and forgot what he did. Seemed pretty easy. I believe he converted the clipart to a bitmap. I have tried this and failed attempts.

Do jpeg images convert to bitmap in Corel successfully? If so how? The new file I made I used a gif clipart image. The gif file worked out just fine. Is it a prefered method to use gif or tif images instead of jpeg???

Patrick Lloyd
    The Pearland Mail Box Store
    Pearland, TX

Epilog Mini 18, 30 Watt
    Patrick,
    A jpeg is a bitmap.
    The white box is inherent with all images that are bitmaps. (Clipart can be and usually is a bitmap) Bitmap images are made up of pixels. They are files that have an extension such as jpeg,tiff,gif,png and others. The best files to use are vectors. Vectors are created with programs such as Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator. Vectors are made up of mathematically based lines and points. Good quality bitmaps can be converted to vectors in Corel Draw by using the Trace function or doing some manual tracing. Vectors can be resized without any degradation of quality.
    Just based on your post, I think you need to do some reading about the differences and types of graphic files. Tons of info on the internet and lots of useful information here.
    Here is a link that explains it http://www.unleash.com/articles/whitebox/

Oh, I see this is your first post..welcome to "the Creek". Glad to have you here!
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 08-03-2011 at 5:03 PM.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Patrick

I think Larry has given you the straight of it. Let me add my welcome to SMC.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Patrick;
    Another welcome to the Creek
    You dont have to convert it to a vector although thats one option. Easier to open the image in PS orPP, magic wand the white and delete it-then save the image as a tif file with a transparent background.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    Hi Patrick;
    Another welcome to the Creek
    You dont have to convert it to a vector although thats one option. Easier to open the image in PS orPP, magic wand the white and delete it-then save the image as a tif file with a transparent background.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    Oops, I didn't mean to give the impression that it HAD to be a vector. The link I gave him explains how to delete it using Corel Photopaint. Sorry if I did.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

A lot of clip art, particularly the stuff you buy on older CD's are .wmf files, which usually are vector files..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Many thanks and looking forward to the forum!

Thanks to all with the replies. I'm just getting off the ground with the laser and Corel (we have X5) and appreciate the Hello's!

We are located just south of Houston TX in the growing Metropolis of Pearland.

Looking forward to learning and sharing here at the Creek!
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-05-2011 at 5:42 AM.
    Patrick Lloyd

Epilog Mini 18, 30 watt laser engraver