Thread: Oak Bench Vanity

Red face Oak Bench Vanity

My son, Ryan designed this piece. It is intended to be a base for his bathroom sink. White rift sawn oak is the material. It is currently unfinished. The bridle joint at the juncture of the legs is made by ripping the leg , cutting the angle and re-joing the leg stock. Kind of a trick that insures accuracy on the skew angle joint. The remainder of the joinery is dowels (top) and mortise and tenon on the balance. The top is ripped to the angle of the legs and all the top boards were calculated to be the same width (not rocket science). It is helful to make a full scale drawing and lay the pieces on it. I have made a few drawings.... We will do a pickled finish with urathane for water stains. All other decisions were SOTP (seat of the pants)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 08-03-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

For me, an issue with open vanities like this is that the wood looks gorgeous, and then hanging below it is a mess of the underside of the sink and the plumbing that connects to it. That stuff is generally enclosed, so no manufacturer I know makes anything that looks anywhere as good as this piece of furniture. Is there a good solution to this?

Fine looking modern style vanity. Please show the finished product with the sink mounted when done. Nice to see another post from Mr. Singer; thought you fell into the Pacific.

Sometimes I fall in .... no sharks yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Fine looking modern style vanity. Please show the finished product with the sink mounted when done. Nice to see another post from Mr. Singer; thought you fell into the Pacific.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Glad to see you posting again Mark. Like this project...simple elegant lines.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Clean lines as most of your projects are Mark. Good to see a post from you.
    Hope things are well in your world.

Nice, clean design, Mark..bravo to Ryan and yourself!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...