Thread: Here’s Some Cool Looking Box’s

Here’s Some Cool Looking Box’s

Has anyone seen any of Terry Evans Box’s? I was on the web and found these. I wonder how he makes them? The site states it’s kind of a basic band saw box technique. Any one try to make such an animal?

http://terryevanswoodart.com/

Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

bandsawing followed by sandblasting followed by sanding?

Never made any kind of boxes like that, but those boxes are beautiful!

Terry was in Denver in July at the Cherry Creek Arts Festival. His pieces are pretty amazing in person. They are laminated, then it appears to be carved likely with rotary carvers, then lots of sanding. The prices of his pieces reflect the exotic woods he uses and the time spent. Some pieces were very large. Very cool in person.
    Gary

I haven't tried one yet, but I am now. My strategy would be to cut the glue up in half in the vertical orientation from the left to right as they're shown in the photos. Then, tip the saw bed a few degrees and cut out a semicircular ring from each half for the interior cone. Make sure the entry and exit points of the cuts are perpendicular to the cross cut and are aligned between the two pieces. Then, glue the halves back together carefully aligning both sides. To make the outside pieces, lay the reassembled exterior pieces on the side shown in the picture with the hole perpendicular to the blade and make wavy cuts for the various rolls. Next, reassemble the rolls in a stack in the finished orientation and cut the outside shape. Follow that up with a lot of carving and sanding. I'd probably carve and sand each before assembly and draw a no cut line 1" or so from the interior edge of the rolls so I had enough glue surface.
    Last edited by Ben Hatcher; 08-04-2011 at 4:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Nice but the top pic made my eyes kind of do goofy things... One can only wonder "how in the world"...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Could they have been done in this manner?...........

No doubt, these are really cool. I was wondering if it was done thusly:

• cut the initial glue up into the horizontal wavy sections on the bandsaw
    • round over each section (leaving enough of a flat 'mating area' to glue)
    • re-glue each horizontal section one on top of the other (being careful to align correctly)
    • cut out the inside on a bandsaw

Opinions???
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I just don't get this stuff.

It's clever.
    It's built well.

It leaves me wondering why anyone would bother?

They are beautiful. Art doesn't need a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I just don't get this stuff.

It's clever.
    It's built well.

It leaves me wondering why anyone would bother?
    Jim - You're kidding, right? Will is correct. This is art and doesn't even need to be functional to be appreciated.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.