Thread: Found a great American made product today..........

Found a great American made product today..........

In the last week I have had three sets of sawhorses fail. You know, those stamped tin pieces of crap that are all that is available most places. Well, there is the plastic ones, junk for a whole different set of reasons.

Anyway.... After a pair collapsed when I set a few pieces of material on them yesterday with the forklift, I was on a mission today. After about twenty hardware stores and lumber yards I found some real portable horses.

They are the TOTE-A-HORSE from the Fulton Corporation out of Fulton, Ill. Cost about double, weigh about three time as much, very, very sturdy, and have a pretty paintjob as well as being adjustable for height. Fold up into a package about the size of a pool stick case, with a handle.

I called the store back up to buy all they had and was told that was the last they will get as they are too expensive. What is expensive? To me expensive is buying a product that does not do its job well, such as all the stamped tin ones in my metal recycling dumpster.

My work is a lot more mobile now, so wooden horses are not really a possibility any more. This product will fill a need with style for me.

And....... It's made in the USA! Bonus!

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 08-05-2011 at 7:29 AM. Reason: Beer affected my spelling....

Larry, looks like you can order these online from Ace Hardware at least in packs of 5. They get very mixed reviews on Amazon FWIW.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Packs of five? Are you sure you looked at the right thing? Why would someone sell sawhorses in packs of five? Mine came as a pair in a box, a pair is logical, five is not.

Larry

Maybe he ment 5 pair.

I build my own, a pair at a time.

Forget the Tote a Horse, Go to the bottom of the page and check out the Stable Mate.
    http://www.fultoncorp.com/sawhorsefrontpage.cfm
    I have 2 tables built with these as bases for my chop saws and they are great. Stable, sturdy and they fold up easily to store in the truck.
    I've used the Tote a Horse and it was nowhere near as convenient.
    My 2 cents,
    Paul

I'll try some of those Paul. They look lighter but I see they weigh 33 percent more.

Larry

Larry,
    If you can find them, get the 30" ones for general sawhorse use. I got the 36" and they're pretty heavy and tall so I don't like them for general use. But I do love them for the miter saw tables.
    Paul

My father has used the sawhorse legs for years (first item on the link) and I have had the sawhorses for about 10 years (second item). Ihe only drawback to the second item sawhorses is that they are of sheetmetal and may have a sharp edge. I ran a deburring tool around them but I can still cut myself if I don't get a good grip on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    Forget the Tote a Horse, Go to the bottom of the page and check out the Stable Mate.
    http://www.fultoncorp.com/sawhorsefrontpage.cfm
    I have 2 tables built with these as bases for my chop saws and they are great. Stable, sturdy and they fold up easily to store in the truck.
    I've used the Tote a Horse and it was nowhere near as convenient.
    My 2 cents,
    Paul
    The Stablemate is what Milwaukee tool used to offer as a base for their mitersaw stand. Excellent product.

Ed

Anthony, the sheet metal ones are the ones I carry in the truck. Much lighter and easier to set up. Just be careful loading materials onto them, the legs will bend. Also, with age and use, the rivets holding them together loosen up and they develop an annoying squeak when laying in the truck. That's been enough to send me on a "perfect" sawhorse quest.
    How do the sawhorse legs work? Better or worse than the sheetmetal horses, or just different?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Packs of five? Are you sure you looked at the right thing? Why would someone sell sawhorses in packs of five? Mine came as a pair in a box, a pair is logical, five is not.

Larry
    Went back to check least I was hallucinating. Not logical at all but here is the link. http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Pro...px?SKU=2138121
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I would saw the legs are both better but different than the horses. Better because they are beefier, but different because to pack them you have to unassemble them. Ending up packing 6 pieces (4 legs and 2 2x4s) instead of 2 pieces. When cutting on the metal ones you have to be careful not to cut the saw horse. I put a piece of 2x4 on top of each sawhorse and screwed up into it from the bottom, just in case.