Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accepted into jurried show: Cherry Breakfast Table

Accepted into jurried show: Cherry Breakfast Table

This is a table I finished about a year and a half ago for my wife (then Fiance) and I. The design was something that I had been thinking about for a while and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. We eat at it everyday!

I entered it into a show at the Center For Furniture Craftsmanship located in Rockport Maine. They will be holding their bi-annual MaineWood 2012 show which showcases woodworkers from Maine. The piece is one of 21 that were selected and I was notified earlier this week. This is my first acceptance to a show of any kind, so I'm pretty excited to receive this (or any) type of recognition from the woodworking community/industry.

The first part of the piece that I built was the top, it was nearly completed before I even began (or had completely figured out) the base. The half lap dovetails were the motivation for the initiation of this piece.

Next I moved onto the base. I wanted to stay true to more traditional joinery when possible so I used draw-bore mortise and tenons for the first time on this piece. This process worked out quite well in this case since the odd shapes would have made clamping very difficult. The pins are cocobolo and the same process was used for the base/uprights joint as well as the upright/lookout joint.

The table is built to be 'knocked down' for easier transportation. The base is two separate pieces the for an 'X' and is fastened with a single bolt from the bottom that threads straight up into a trapped nut in one half of the base. The same idea of a bolt and trapped nut was used to fasten the base to the top; the trapped nut was inserted into the upper half of each halflap dovetail.

The top has 3/8" tempered glass which adds some nice visual and physical weight to the piece.

Thanks for reading!
    NWB

Photo credit Jim Dugan (www.jimdugan.com)
    Barboza DT Breakfast Table-01.jpgBarboza DT Breakfast Table-03.jpg_MG_3186.JPGBarboza DT Breakfast Table-3.jpg_MG_3184.JPG_MG_3205.JPG
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Really nice and very kewel joinery! Best wishes for the show!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Now those corners on the top are right up my alley... I keep going to that third picture. What are the dimensions of the top?
    Real nice work Nick. And good luck in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Now those corners on the top are right up my alley... I keep going to that third picture. What are the dimensions of the top?
    Real nice work Nick. And good luck in the show.
    Thanks Gary and Jim. The top is right around 38" square and about 1.5" thick.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Blog Entries
    Awesome news! I love the table, very original and elegant.

I have entered in the state fair, but to be selected to take part in a competition is definitely a feather in your cap.
    Congratulation on the competition and your marage... I'm getting married in May.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Hi nick i like your table,Whats interesting to me is how you managed to get a sculpted look and not look organic.Keeping the hard lines with the pointy ends was a good choice.Good job. Andrew

Very nice design, and clever joinery. OVer all, a great piece !!! good luck
    MARK

Fantastic design and execution! Very nice looking!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Beautiful piece Nick, and good luck in the show.

PHM

Blog Entries
    I am not big on glass table top BUT, with all that beautiful work on display it is the perfect material. Great lines. Nice visual accent on the joinery. I love well fitted, exaggerated joints that keep the feel of hand worked material. Just as in paintings and sculpture; for me if is is too perfect, it looks like a machine made it. I like to feel the artist's presence. Well done. The coloring has an "already aged a bit" cherry tone to it and I suspect this is the wonderful tone of actually aged cherry as the piece has been in use for awhile. What was you finishing protocol?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-07-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you all for the kind words about my work! It is humbling to have compliments on my work from this community with such high quality work. You're all too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am not big on glass table top BUT, with all that beautiful work on display it is the perfect material. Great lines. Nice visual accent on the joinery. I love well fitted, exaggerated joints that keep the feel of hand worked material. Just as in paintings and sculpture; for me if is is too perfect, it looks like a machine made it. I like to feel the artist's presence. Well done. The coloring has an "already aged a bit" cherry tone to it and I suspect this is the wonderful tone of actually aged cherry as the piece has been in use for awhile. What was you finishing protocol?
    Glenn,
    The finish I used was a modification of what Thos. Moser uses and described in one of his books. I used 3 applications of BLO that was heated to +/-140*F. I ragged it on, let it soak in for 10-15mins and wiped off the excess. After those were complete and dried for a week or so (no reason for this wait, just wasn't in a rush to complete), I applied 3-4 coats of Johnsons Past Wax. This was applied with a white Scotchbrite pad (= to 0000) then buffed off with a lambswool. Generally a day or two between coats (again because schedule was not rushed)..

I love this finish! it is easy to apply and it allows the cherry to age to a nice dark color rather quickly. It also has a very flat/dull sheen; which I prefer.

NWB
    Last edited by NICK BARBOZA; 08-07-2011 at 4:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

Good going Nick. Nice table. I took a 12 week course 3-4 yrs ago there. It's a great school with some big name instructors. They have a big list of courses that they offer from 3 day to 9 months.

Nick thats a great table, the joinery and design are superb!!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Way cool.

If I might ask - the half-lap dovetails on the top....are they glued? Pinned from below? I like the way that, rather than making them "seamless", you emphasized them.....evokes G&G to my eye.

Thanks

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Way cool.

If I might ask - the half-lap dovetails on the top....are they glued? Pinned from below? I like the way that, rather than making them "seamless", you emphasized them.....evokes G&G to my eye.

Thanks

Kent

Kent,
    These half laps were simply glued. Its a long grain to long grain joint, so I figured it should be fine. I added a few pictures of the process. Also you'll see the trapped nut in there too.
    As for the emphasized look on the DT's I thought long and hard about that one, but am VERY happy with my decision! I think it makes them stand out quite a bit; in a good way.
    Thanks again!
    NWB
    Cherry DT breakfast table 002.jpgCherry DT breakfast table 010.jpgCherry DT breakfast table 204.jpg