Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accepted into jurried show: Cherry Breakfast Table

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    Kent,
    These half laps were simply glued. Its a long grain to long grain joint, so I figured it should be fine. I added a few pictures of the process. Also you'll see the trapped nut in there too.
    As for the emphasized look on the DT's I thought long and hard about that one, but am VERY happy with my decision! I think it makes them stand out quite a bit; in a good way.
    Thanks again!
    NWB
    Nick - got it....thanks. I can imagine thinking long and hard - gutsy move, IMO, that turned out very well. But then - no guts, no glory.

I'm going to remember this design detail, and steal it from you one of these days, if you don't mind.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

That is absolutely beautiful. Love the base.

Good luck with the show!

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    Next I moved onto the base. I wanted to stay true to more traditional joinery when possible so I used draw-bore mortise and tenons for the first time on this piece. This process worked out quite well in this case since the odd shapes would have made clamping very difficult.
    A lovely piece - good luck in the competition.
    I am curious about the joinery. Would the joints have been strong enough without the draw-bore pins? Also, from the photos I can't picture why they would have been difficult to clamp - I presume I am missing something?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cahill View Post
    A lovely piece - good luck in the competition.
    I am curious about the joinery. Would the joints have been strong enough without the draw-bore pins? Also, from the photos I can't picture why they would have been difficult to clamp - I presume I am missing something?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul,
    I suspect the joints would have been plenty strong w/o the pins, but i would also argue that the pins do add a sort of 'mechanical' attachment further securing the joint.

As for the need for clamps, I tried to have all of my clean up and all but final sanding complete prior to glue up. Therefore, each piece (lookouts and uprights) already had their final profile and curves completed, clamps could have dented edges etc... Also, if you look at the second picture in my first post, you'll note that the only good place to get a clamp on the lookout is at the very end; however placing a clamp at that point would not allow for good distribution of clamping force into the joint at the upright.

Could it be clamped and have been ok???.... probably. But I didn't see any benefit in that process (wrestling match) over leaving out the pins since I feel that they also add to the aesthetic. Overall, it was one of my easiest and least stressful glue ups. It took a little extra layout, but once I glued the mortise and tenon I put them together and drove in a pin I watched the joint get sucked tight. Another pin or two and DONE.

Thanks,
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Good going Nick. Nice table. I took a 12 week course 3-4 yrs ago there. It's a great school with some big name instructors. They have a big list of courses that they offer from 3 day to 9 months.
    Jay, I have been wanting to take a class there for some time now. But the day job and busy life have not allowed it to happen. I do foresee it sometime though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Nick - got it....thanks. I can imagine thinking long and hard - gutsy move, IMO, that turned out very well. But then - no guts, no glory.

I'm going to remember this design detail, and steal it from you one of these days, if you don't mind.
    Kent, No I don't mind a bit if you use the half lap detail. My royalty charges are quite reasonable

Thanks all for the kind words.
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

nice form, really beautiful... i was a student their once, really love that school.

I just found out that the show will run from Dec. 2, 2011 to April 6, 2012. So if your going to be in Maine during those 5 months please stop by The Center and have a look. Besides the joy of seeing my *wonderful* work you can get a tour of the school and learn all they have to offer.

Thanks again for all of your kind words.
    NWB