Thread: 13" Planer vs 15"

13" Planer vs 15"

At what point does a 15" planer truly become a requirement versus a 13"? Are there certain types of woodworking that really require the 15" size, or it is more of convenience as it can handle slightly larger boards?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / opinions!

Joe

Really just depends on what you are building. I've maxed out my Dewalt DW735, but I have yet to have a need to plane anything wider. However, a larger planer would allow you to skew pieces slightly to help with tearout and snipe issues. If price and space are not a problem, I am of the "bigger is better" mindset....I just didn't have space for anything else when I started out a few years ago.

Blog Entries
    My 12-1/2" (DW734) still works great. I made a good deal of furniture with it. I got the 15" because spending what it cost to put a spiral head in a lunchbox just didn't seem like the best long term investment for me. If I was worried about capacity, I would have made a much larger step to something like a 20". I do believe there was one time I had a glue up that I wanted to put through the DW734 and it would not fit but, I'll be darned if I can remember what (or when) that was.

Your satisfaction with a machine will relate to what you are going to do with it. For me, the difference between 12-1/2" and 15" was so small that I nearly went with a 20". After a couple deep breathes and a review of when I might have needed a machine with that capacity over the last several years . . . , I got the 15". But, not for the extra 2-1/2". YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent 63 View Post
    At what point does a 15" planer truly become a requirement versus a 13"? Are there certain types of woodworking that really require the 15" size, or it is more of convenience as it can handle slightly larger boards?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / opinions!

Joe
    Simple answer, when your jointer is 15" wide.

I don't plane glueups so my jointer is the same width as my planer, 12".

If I had a 6 inch jointer I'd be fine with a 6 inch planer............Regards, Rod.

P.S. I wouldn't be fine with a portable planer, I have a Hammer A3-31 J/P, these Euro combo machines are in my opinion, the best choice for a small shop. Full sized machines in the space required for much smaller machines, and the performance of full size stationary machines.

Also zero snipe, 5 minute knife chanes, bridge guard, ability to add a slot mortiser etc.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 08-05-2011 at 8:41 AM. Reason: Added Post script

Joe,

In the interest of avoiding a possible flame war I'd like to start out by saying I own a 12" Delta lunchbox-style planer.

In *general*, if you contrast the 12" and 12-1/2" planers with the 15" and up, you will see"

* Heavy cast iron
    * Induction motors vs. Universal Motors
    * mandatory 240V vs 120V or 120/240V
    * much more expensive
    * Did I say really heavy cast iron?

The large, heavier units tend to have less vibration and (because everything is heavier and >>generally<< more solid) snipe.

Where the 13" DeWalt DW735 weighs in about 100#, the Jet JWP-15 has a gross weight of 590#.
    On the other hand, the DeWalt sells for about $600, the Jet goes for about $1,800.

IMO, it is a decision akin to the choice between buying a new Delta Contractor saw or a new Unisaw for 3X the price.

I've heard testimonials from "Professionals" who use the Dewalt and I know of amateurs with the Jet. It's all a matter of choice. YMMV.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I had a DeWalt 735 for years and put a Byrd head in it. While it worked great and I rarely found the need for a wider planer, I got tired of the boards moving the planer when I ran thick stock through it. 4/4 lumber is no problem, but 8/4 and up, sometimes the board would weigh more than the planer. Without careful infeed and outfeed, it could end up on the floor.
    So when I got the opportunity to trade even for a barely used Bridgewood 15", I jumped on it. More for the extra weight and horsepower than the capacity. Now I just need a Byrd head for it...
    Hope that helps,
    Paul

I'm absolutely sure that a 15" planer, especially an old Powermatic or similar machine, would be a dream to have and operate. But, my Ridgid, especially after I ditched the mobile base and replaced it with a piece of plywood and Kreg casters, is so mobile and so easy to roll outside or out of the way that I'd be hard pressed to give up the room for a big stationary planer.

I have the Dewalt 735, i have no problems with it, so long as you used it for what it was designed for. Mine is bolted down to its own weighted down mobile base.
    Most things i make are under 4`. I cut my boards down to that length and do the more time work instead of sending 8` to 12` through a portable planer. Plus i couldn't joint or would have a hard time on 6" jointer with long boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    ................................ I'd be hard pressed to give up the room for a big stationary planer.
    That Jerome is why I have a 12" jointer with a free planer thrown in.

I have a Hammer A3-31, I went from a General 8" jointer and 14" planer to a combination planer/jointer. It took up the same room as my old jointer, and I got rid of the stationary planer...............Regards, Rod.

I'm currently working on kitchen cabinets. For the edge joined door panels I found I could pass all the panels through a 15" and not a 13" so that justified the purchase for me (at least that's the story I gave my wife ). The differences between a floor standing and lunch box planer have been stated above. My experience has been that the MUCH lower noise (even with hearing protection) allowes me to plane more stock at one time. The noise from the lunch box would get uncomfortable and I would take breakes.

Mike

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I have a chance to upgrade my 12" DW733 to a 735 and sell the old one to my brother. I would be out about $250 as I already have the DW stand. I am not a production WW, so it is more of a hobby for me. Sounds like the 15" or a combo machine would be the ultimate, but for what I do - would be under 4' and the vast majority as 4/4, the 735 should be a nice upgrade. So off we go ...

Joe

Within reason, more is better. Those extra couple of inches will be worth having sometime.

The direct connection between jointer size and desired planer size is often overstated, IMO. Get as much machine (size and quality) as you can afford and have room for.

Unless you plane glue ups ( primarily door panels) how often do you get a board wider than 12"? There is your answer, IMHO.

Joe,
    Good luck with the 735. It's a nice machine and should serve you well.
    Paul