Thread: Adhesive: Vinyl to wood?

Adhesive: Vinyl to wood?

Think of those inexpensive carpet runners made of flexible clear vinyl/plastic. I need to glue rectangles of that stuff to wood frames [looks like picture frames] - adhesion surface area of wood will be maybe 3/4" wide - frames will be in the range of 8" x 20". Wood willl come from scrap heap - WRC looks likely from where I'm sitting - that pile has gotten too big in the last few weeks. No plans to finish, unless a seal coat or two of shellac would help adhesion.

I'd prefer to not use a spray-on like the 3M-77 - don't want to bother with taping off the vinyl.

Contact cement? Medium or thick CA? Rubber cement? I can test the CA, but the others I'd need to buy, so I don't have a "free" way to test those.

"Pretty" is not part of the design requirement. Cheap and fast is part of the design.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Ok, Kent. What in the world are you making?

Sorry, no help on the adhesive.
    Last edited by Kurt Cady; 08-06-2011 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Spelling, dumb iPhone...

You can buy vinyl cement. I get it at a local plastics shop, but HD may have it. It comes in a toothpaste tube, and is about as runny as titebond. It bonds to vinyl, and bonds to wood. Another possibility is the mastic used to stick vinyl baseboard to walls. It sticks to vinyl, and it sticks to wood. It can come in 1- and 5- gallon tubs, and can also come in a tube for a caulking gun. That form might be the easiest for you to use on this project. HD and the like have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Ok, Kent. What in the world are you marking?Sorry, no help on the adhesive.
    heh-heh-heh...I was wondering if anyone would ask that.

My HP LaserJet 4+ printer finally died - after only 17 years. Go figure. The last 8 years of its life were on a shelf in the basement shop. No dust cover.

My techno-wizard nephew was here for a visit, helped me select a new HP all-in-one printer, scan, fax, copy. He pointed out that, in recent years, the printer guys have taken the "razor v blades" approach, in that the printers are now [relatively] very inexpensive, but the cartridges are where they make their money. The point he was making is that I needed to start to pay a little attention to protecting the printer.

So - from Amazon, I got a $14 6' x 27" sheet of that carpet-runner vinyl stuff. I am going to make three dust cover "boxes" if you will, out of the wood frames. One will go around the main part of the unit. One will sit on top of that, and lift off for access to the flip-up lid for single-page copy, scan, etc. The third will sit in front of the main box [there will be an opening in the main box] so that the paper tray and paper exit extension can project out from the main box, and this "box" can be lifted off to reload paper. There will be a flap on the front, so I don't have to remove it to grab printer output.

SWMBO believes that my motto is: "If it is worth doing, it is worth over-doing." Don't want to disappoint her, right?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You can buy vinyl cement. I get it at a local plastics shop, but HD may have it. It comes in a toothpaste tube, and is about as runny as titebond. It bonds to vinyl, and bonds to wood. Another possibility is the mastic used to stick vinyl baseboard to walls. It sticks to vinyl, and it sticks to wood. It can come in 1- and 5- gallon tubs, and can also come in a tube for a caulking gun. That form might be the easiest for you to use on this project. HD and the like have it.
    Vinyl cement sounds like the ticket. Thanks, Jamie.

What about staples and duct tape?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Blog Entries
    Kent, Harbor Freight sells a four foot wide, one side blue vinyl coated drop cloth. 3M makes a blue tape that matches the color perfectly. If you need to cover wider pieces you can just tape pieces together. Of course it is cheap. It works very well for me.

I think Roo Glue would work. It does a great job attaching PVC to wood. It is not that expensive either. I bought mine at a local woodworking store.

http://www.rooglue.com/rooclear.html

Shoe-Goo should work great.
    I use that stuff for bonding all sorts of things.

Lowes carries it in small tubes.
    The only disadvantage is that it takes overnight for it to dry.
    That and the stuff stinks since it's solvent based.

The Roo Glue looks like an interesting product.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    What about staples and duct tape?
    Oh - that is definitely on my list of options.

Well how about a nice all wood roll top cover, I have a friend that had one for his print and it really looked nice. The whole printer just set inside ad then you just rolled up the roll top when he wanted to use it.

Heavy Duty Double sided tape...
    Carpe Lignum