Thread: Confessions of a recovering messy shop

Confessions of a recovering messy shop

I've spend the last few months trying to re-organize my shop to be more "useful" so I can actually get to tools/parts/etc.. and work sanely.

Over the course of this I've assembled my top (N) list of things that seem to help, and was wondering what you guys might add to this list.

My list:
    - less projects (space taken is space to maneuver lost).
    - finish off the big projects (or the furthest along or the simplest if its a tie) first, then you'll have more space to finish the rest of them.
    - say no to new projects until you've caught up (ok yeah there's a trend here, I have a problem with over commitment )
    - narrower cabinets, deep cabinets (shelves, etc..) just mean that things pile up at the back of them and are forever lost. I rebuilt most of mine to 18" deep for cabinets and 22-24" deep for benches which seems ~close.
    - if you haven't used it in ~2-5 years ditch it, you aren't going to use it (the line between collector and hoarder mostly appears to be quality not quantity ).
    - dump the junk tools. Fewer quality tools are better than more crap (sadly? happily? I think I'm just ending up with more tools at the end..)
    - clean up as you go. waiting until the end of the day is too late, earlier is better (watch a professional chef run a kitchen sometime, I think this is the only way they can survive.. - not a chef, but willing to steal ideas from them )

And no - no pics, this isn't a messiest shop contest (although they appear to have a good one going over in the turners forum ), I said "recovering" not "recovered" - its a journey not a destination..

- don't get bit by the "hand tool bug" - especially that one that causes you to acquire numerous hand planes, hand saws and chisels, until you have the current shop somewhat organized. In the middle of a remodel, it is hard to get things in order if you are acquiring new\old tools along the way. I heard of a guy that came down with a bad case of the hand tool fever; his shop remodel still isn't done.

- the old a saying - place for everything and everything in its place rule

- be picky about the scraps you keep - don't let tens of dollars worth of scrap materials keep you from enjoying the use of hundreds of dollars worth of equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    - the old a saying - place for everything and everything in its place rule
    But what happens if you don't have a place for everything?

- be picky about the scraps you keep - don't let tens of dollars worth of scrap materials keep you from enjoying the use of hundreds of dollars worth of equipment
    My corollary to the scrap law is: If it isn't safe to cut, then it's scrap. If the piece is too small to traverse the tablesaw blade or router table, then it's just the right size for the scrap bin.

If the piece is too small to traverse the tablesaw blade or router table, then it's just the right size for the scrap bin.
    But then you could glue them all up and move them to the lathe project list...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Donate any and all tools. A bunch of us "Creekers" will be by in the am. By the time we get done, your shop will be cleaned.

I've been finding out you never have enough storage space. I'm going thru and adding several base and wall cabinets. I gone with more drawers for the base cabinets. That has helped. The next project is the tool cabinet/chest or a combination of both. Thats still in the planing process.

Also go thru your shop at least once a year - if you haven't used it in the last year and your not going to use it in the next week - get rid of it. Don't stock pile scraps - get rid of it. A clean shop is a safer shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    But buying a lathe would be a) another tool and b) lead to more projects

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    But buying a lathe would be a) another tool and b) lead to more projects
    Although a lathe may appear to be a machine, it's actually an astronomical item called a black hole.

If you don't believe me, buy one and see if you can avoid the event horizon.............Rod.

Blog Entries
    My list:
    - less projects (space taken is space to maneuver lost).
    I try to keep it at a maximum of three things going on at any given time. This would vary with space.
    - finish off the big projects (or the furthest along or the simplest if its a tie) first, then you'll have more space to finish the rest of them.
    See above.
    - say no to new projects until you've caught up (ok yeah there's a trend here, I have a problem with over commitment )
    See above. Hey this is easy
    - narrower cabinets, deep cabinets (shelves, etc..) just mean that things pile up at the back of them and are forever lost. I rebuilt most of mine to 18" deep for cabinets and 22-24" deep for benches which seems ~close.
    I have changed my only 24" deep cabinet to a large item storage unit. Anything smaller than a bowling ball will get lost back there. 18" seems to be about as deep as I can keep organized.
    - if you haven't used it in ~2-5 years ditch it, you aren't going to use it (the line between collector and hoarder mostly appears to be quality not quantity ).
    - dump the junk tools. Fewer quality tools are better than more crap (sadly? happily? I think I'm just ending up with more tools at the end..)
    I have organized away from the "like objects together" format. It may look great in the store or in a catalog but, I now group things where they are used, not by what they are. I also group things by frequency of use; 'right at hand', 'a few steps away', 'across the shop' and 'out in the shed'.
    - clean up as you go. waiting until the end of the day is too late, earlier is better (watch a professional chef run a kitchen sometime, I think this is the only way they can survive.. - not a chef, but willing to steal ideas from them )
    I finally got into a good clean as you go habit. The payoffs are great. If there is a place for everything it goes super fast. Anything that doesn't have a place is not important enough to be in my way .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Similar to what Glenn just said, I find that if I organize based on where items are used, my tendency to put them back again is much higher.

Also, when I find an item that I use in multiple places in the shop, I evaluate whether the price to having multiple of that item is worth it to make organization easier. For example, philips screw driver. Rather than carting a $2 tool all over, I have several. One at each stationary spot where I would use it, as well as one in each of my task-dedicated tool boxes (like my drywall toolbox... my electrical toolbox... my general repair toolbox). This method results in me never having to search for a philips screw driver, and also ensures that one will never end up laying around cluttering a spot because it doesn't have a home.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

don't get bit by the "hand tool bug" - especially that one that causes you to acquire numerous hand planes, hand saws and chisels, until you have the current shop somewhat organized. In the middle of a remodel, it is hard to get things in order if you are acquiring new\old tools along the way. I heard of a guy that came down with a bad case of the hand tool fever; his shop remodel still isn't done.
    By golly I think we might have met the same fella at one point I'll be sure and stop this madness right after that next leevalley order...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    But what happens if you don't have a place for everything?
    I've been leaning towards either make a place or out it goes. The amazing thing about this is when you set yourself the ultimatum its amazing how many things manage to "find" a place

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    And the really nice pieces make nice handles/etc and there is always that one inlay you need a small chunk for.. In seriousness I do have an excess of small pieces and I suspect that this is a common problem. I've been tackling this issue as part of the "finish projects" vein. I've been trying to convert them all into either a) things to clutter up other peoples house with (surprisingly effective, people have a hard time turning down something hand made ) or b) scraps small enough I don't feel bad burning them as fast as possible. The big problem is that I had a really good "head start" here a few years ago when I got a really good deal on a bunch of offcuts from a furniture store ($200 for as much as I could fit in the pickup.. I could fit quite a bit as it turns out ) and then there was that estate sale.. couldn't turn down that, and those spalted maple burls in my wood dealer cousins burn pile sheesh damn shame to leave those... .

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    My list:
    I have changed my only 24" deep cabinet to a large item storage unit. Anything smaller than a bowling ball will get lost back there. 18" seems to be about as deep as I can keep organized.
    Yup totally agreed. I really think this is actually the most unappreciated organizational tip until you've tried it. For years I was on the "biggest cabinet is best cabinet" trend, but it just doesn't work. 24" is way to deep for most cabinets, I can mostly handle 18" although it helps to add dividers and label stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have organized away from the "like objects together" format. It may look great in the store or in a catalog but, I now group things where they are used, not by what they are. I also group things by frequency of use; 'right at hand', 'a few steps away', 'across the shop' and 'out in the shed'.
    Interesting idea (and the duplicating tools to improve organization from Bob) - good ideas I'll have to try and incorporate those; I can really see how that would help. I've sort of done this in a couple of places (without really thinking about it) and have found that (where feasible) if the item (i.e. screwdriver/allen wrench/chuck are I believe all I've done this with) is tethered to the tool it works even better because I'm less inclined to "borrow" it for that project "over there" and instead go use the toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner;1755160-
    be picky about the scraps you keep - don't let tens of dollars worth of scrap materials keep you from enjoying the use of hundreds of dollars worth of equipment
    Thats funny right there, Joe. It hits home with me, I tend to throw away most everything....except wood scraps, you never know when a 3"x6" piece of select cherry with a check in it might come in useful.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I tend to shut down as my workspace approaches grid lock. Doesn't matter if I am at work, the shop, kitchen.... I just simply am not able to get anything accomplished in a cluttered space.

At the end of my shop time I try to cleanup or at least put everything away. This enforces the 'A place for everything' rule. If I bring a new tool home, it has to have a place immediately. It can't just sit on the bench or cabinet top.

After a while of practicing this, and a few completed projects, the benefits of the freedom to create without compromising to a messy shop become obvious. Wasted space and unused tools begin to reveal themselves. I embrace the fact that my shop space is small. It forces me to be efficient in tool selection, storage and work flow. I often times think "How would the Navy stow this?". After all, they are the masters of maximizing space.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    , you never know when a 3"x6" piece of select cherry with a check in it might come in useful.
    I couldn't stop laughing at that. Seems I have to fight the same compulsion, like a little devil on my shoulder whispering "Keep it."

I went from 9000 feet to around 2000 feet and am having to learn a lot of these lessons. I did not realize how much material I drug back to the shop, and how many tools I have until I had to be organized, which has not totaly happened yet. I drug home about a dozen beams the other day, 4"x16"x12', nad had no idea what I was going to do with them. I put them in the barn, and now I can't get to anything that is behind them. I have got to stop that, but they were too nice to throw in the dumpster.......

Larry

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I went from 9000 feet to around 2000 feet and am having to learn a lot of these lessons. I did not realize how much material I drug back to the shop, and how many tools I have until I had to be organized, which has not totaly happened yet. I drug home about a dozen beams the other day, 4"x16"x12', nad had no idea what I was going to do with them. I put them in the barn, and now I can't get to anything that is behind them. I have got to stop that, but they were too nice to throw in the dumpster.......Larry
    Ahhh, just the beams to build a new shed so you can store more beams. . .