Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop apron??? Pencil on the ear???

Shop attire consists of prescription safety glasses, so pencils scattered around and in my apron pocket...almost always have the apron on--different one for finishing. Doesn't work well for turning and am thinking about getting a smock, ala Jim Becker. Am I the only one that wears steel toed shoes in the shop?

Levi's, a blue work shirt (long or short sleeved depending on Texas winter weather) and leather sneakers in the winter and shorts, a "T" shirt with pocket (for a mechanical pencel) and slip-on boat shoes (also leather) in the summer.

A very neat leather apron. It was pricey but is comfortable and has lots of pockets. It can be seen and purchased at www.woodworkeracademy.com. Just a happy customer of both the apron and the classes.

Bob

SCM ball cap is for going to town--to nice to wear in the shop.
    Wear the cheap ball caps for working--try to get them free with someones ad on the front---most come from sawmills or insurance companies. Heck those folks get most of our money anyway I might as well wear their hats.
    Pencil always behind the ear---unless I can't find one---they sneak into the house.
    Tee shirt and zipper stlye sweat jacket in the winter--just a tee shirt in the summer.
    Sweatpants in the winter shorts in the summer.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    Good grief! I hope not! I better be carefull...I could really run with this "What are you wearing" thing!
    Now you did it Carole! There's projectile coffee spew everywhere...
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 02-20-2005 at 9:12 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Old habits die hard...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Sometimes I wear an apron but basically I prefer dungarees – I can’t imagine something more comfortable. Pencil on the ear – that would look cool but I can’t get used to it. From time to time I don’t wear my shop clothes. It’s tempting to save time by not dressing up in shop clothes but after I messed up some trousers and shirts with glue ...
    After I dropped a metal box on my foot last summer I mostly wear safty shoes today
    And I try to prevent myself from putting stuff (tape measure, pencils, Stanley cutter, key for chucks) in my pockets because I would never find it again

Have a nice day!

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    Am I the only one that wears steel toed shoes in the shop?
    Nope. I do, after a vey close call with a falling chisel hile wearing sandals.

Shorts, tee shirt and sneakers! This IS Florida, after all!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I always wear an apron. Just picked up a LV apron beginning of the year. Replaced my old "The Woodworkers Store" apron I had purchased 15 yrs ago. I usually have a mechanical pencil, lead pencil, a small 2" square, 4" calipers and a Lufkin folding rule in the pockets.

Jim

Up until recently, I always wore an apron. This past Christmas, my daughter bought me a shop coat. Plenty of pockets and keeps the chill down to a minimum in my 58 degree shop. Jeans, flannel shirt and a pencil behind the ear complete the ensemble.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Apron - bib or waist depending on the time of year, stocked with all the tools I use the most (wrenches, small square, carriage bolts for bolting things to the bench, etc.). Shorts and T are a must - too hot here even in the winter for much else. As for the pencil, I keep mine on one of those ID card holders with the extendable string thing (can't think of what you call that thing). When you need it there it is hanging on the front of the apron, just stretch it out, use it and let 'er go and it goes right back to the front of the apron. Never lose one that way. And I don't have to have a hundred pencils lying around the shop.

I dont use an apron or a tool belt while I am in the shop. They tend to get bulky and can cause saftey hazards if they get pulled into the machinery. I tend to spread out my tools on the work bench and keep my pencils in my pocket.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I used to do the pencil in the ear but too many pencil pricks in the wood from sliding out of your ear. So I wear the apron,just replace mine the other day with one from Rocklers,old one had holes worn in pockets. I carry multiple pencils,6" rule,calculator,dust collector remote. Lower pockets tape measure,old chisel,screwdriver,utility knife.

Tom

NO apron for me. I just wear old jeans and a shirt. However this time of year it is COLD in the shop, so I wear long underwear, pants, a turtleneck, t shirt and a sweatshirt. Ohh and of course my FAV stocking cap! Pencil goes on the ear.