Thread: Shocking discovery about those little batteries....

Shocking discovery about those little batteries....

I like to keep all those little small parts in plastic divider boxes including spare batteries for my digital Wixey tools and other electronic gadgets. You know those cute little flat batteries 1/4" to 3/4" in diameter. I had a few loose ones along with a 9v in reserve. Apparently when I closed the drawer they were in, I initiated launch sequence. A little while later, I needed a part from the box and discovered one of those little batteries had blown apart. Batteries stay seperated now..batteries 002.jpgbatteries 004.jpg

I suspect the little battery got across the poles of the 9v battery.....for a short time period it shorted across that 9v battery. Was there any marks on the posts of the 9V battery?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Reminds me of the fellow that was hunting in winter and dropped a few .22 rounds in his Down Jacket pocket and shortly heard a loud pop and saw a few down feathers floating around. There was a 9V battery in the same pocket. He wasn't hurt.

Forgot when I herd it but years ago someone on the Fire Departments said that you wouldn't believe how many fires are started from people throwing 9v batteries in a junk drawer and them touching metal (specifically Steel Wool). In case you didn't know you can rub a 9v battery with steel wool and it will instantly start burning the steel wool. Nifty party trick or a way to start a fire if your survivor man.

Ray

PS - Other Party Trick is to cut a grape in half and put it in the microwave were it is very close but not touching and you will get a electrical arc between the 2 pieces. Also some brands of Duct tape if you stick 2 pieces together sticky sticky side and pull them apart in a dark room you'll see sparks. Weird..

Quote Originally Posted by Ray DuBose View Post
    PS - Other Party Trick is to cut a grape in half and put it in the microwave were it is very close but not touching and you will get a electrical arc between the 2 pieces. Also some brands of Duct tape if you stick 2 pieces together sticky sticky side and pull them apart in a dark room you'll see sparks. Weird..
    In my previous life working around rocket motors if we needed to tape something down we had to use special emf tape. Duct tape was not allowed in the area. You can pull a piece of standard duct tape and peg an emf meter.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    In my previous life working around rocket motors if we needed to tape something down we had to use special emf tape. Duct tape was not allowed in the area. You can pull a piece of standard duct tape and peg an emf meter.

someone need to call Myth Busters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    someone need to call Myth Busters
    Why?......
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I suspect the little battery got across the poles of the 9v battery.....for a short time period it shorted across that 9v battery. Was there any marks on the posts of the 9V battery?
    Don't underestimate the button battery. Just shorting them can cause them to explode. If they are not in a protective package, store button cells between two pieces of clear packaging tape.

Good to know. I know we have all our miscellaneous batteries in a small plastic basket including some floating around loose. Most of our regular size batteries are in one of those wall-mounted holders we got with batteries for next to nothing after rebate at Menards which has proven to be pretty nice.

As they said in Ghost Busters - "Good safety tip!"

My brother was in a business meeting, once, and the person next to him frantically was tapping him on the shoulder to tell him that his attache case was on fire. Shorted out a 9V battery and was smoldering until it burst into flames.

Once, I volunteered to stop on way home from work and pick up a battery (rechargable) for fellow workers calculator. It was similar to to a nine volt. Stuck it in my pockets with some change. Lets just say I hold the world's record for taking off a pair of pants with a smoldering pocket.

Since we are on obscure tape trivia, did you know they have discovered the pulling cellophane tape off the roll releases xrays? They have been looking into using this as a means of producing inexpensive and portable xray machines.
    Also, lightning strikes release powerful xray waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post

You don't even need the loose change. I sat on a 9v battery once and noticed that my pocket started to get very warm. Lot's of interesting effects when you mix up those chemicals with your butt.