Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retiring

Retiring

I'm retiring at the end of the year and moving to the Daytona Beach area. I have lived in Kansas/Missouri all my life and am used to finding hardwoods at reasonable prices. As I look for a supplier in the Daytona area (or even within a couple of hundred miles or so) I find that prices are about double what I pay in the midwest. Any Floridians out there who know of a place I can find my hardwood at reasonable prices. I work mostly in red oak, soft and hard maple, cherry and walnut.

Thanks, John

John.....I can't help you with wood sources ....but Congratulations on the upcoming retirement!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John, Jump in, the retirement water feels great! I actually made my retirement official today (first SS deposit!!)!
    I am only slowing my journalism business but will keep up with my sites as that was my retirement plan in the first place.
    I am sure that you will find wood and tool sources in your new abode. Woodworkers are stubborn that way!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Congratulations John on your upcoming retirement. There truly is no such thing as a bad day ! Some are better than others, but no bad ones. Anyway, if you can't find any local wood suppliers there's always the internet. I've bought some nice veneer that way and I read all the time from folks here that get good deals on lumber. Or you might consider trailering some from MO once or twice a year on trips home. You'll figure it out.

Check out Toms Cypress. Acres of very large slabs of most east coast woods.

http://www.tomscypress.com/
    Gentleman Jim

Try woodwinder with your destination zip code.

Better yet, check Craigslist for guys that are cleaning out their garage.
    You'll likely find a working group of duffers that have leads for you.

FYI - Caribbean heart pine is very cool stuff, and readily available South of the panhandle.

Thanks from all the well-wishers. My wife and I have sacrificed quite a bit over the years to make this move possible. We are leaving kids and a grandchild behind in Kansas (adult kids of course), so yes, we will be returning at least 2 or 3 times a year. I thought about driving the truck instead of the car when we come up, however 28 miles to the gallon for the car as opposed to 12 for the truck might not make hauling lumber back with me worthwhile. I've thought of buying a trailer to pull behind the car. That might be the way to go or maybe I can find a supplier up north but not quite the 2600 mile round trip back to Kansas.

Congrats John,
    I would imagine that most domestic hardwoods will be more expensive in Florida, the upside might be that imported woods may be less expensive.
    Enjoy your retirement!
    Dave

Sorry, can't help with the ww question, but congratulations on the retirement. Hope you enjoy Daytona, just don't swim with the sharks. I watched "Shark Week" last week, so they're on my mind.

Thanks, Gary. Let's just keep that little tidbit from my wife.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations John. Wish it was me.

I'm guessing you wont have to go too far to get affordable wood. Hope so.

PHM

As you have already mentioned, freight is a large part of the cost of wood in area to which it isn't native. I subscribe to a national cabinet publication. The prices they list in their pricing surveys are much less than what I pay. Check around, and you will find some local sawyers who also dry wood. You should be able to find cypress, southern yellow pine, popular, and both red and white oak locally harvested, plus local species.

Thanks to all for the "Well Wishes". I am definitely looking forward to spending more time in the woodshop and just relaxing. I'm sure I will be able to come up with a solution to my wood situation.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement. You shouldn't have too much problem finding some excellent hardwoods in Florida. I've sold hardwood lumber for both an Appalachian and a Southern sawmill into the Florida market and found the distributor demand was usually higher for the Appalachian stock as a high percentage of their clients were also retired, many from the Northeast who wanted similar grades and species as they were accustomed to in their homes and projects back "home". I would suggest you google Hood Distribution, W.M. Cramer Lumber or Heritage Forest Products as they all have a Florida presence. I don't know if they provide retail sales but if not they should surely offer advise on which of their customers offer retail sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If you first don't succeed, TRY, TRY AGAIN...

Thanks, Don. I will check them out.