Thread: Which HVLP Sprayer to Get.

Which HVLP Sprayer to Get.

I am interested in getting an HVLP spray gun to use with my air compressor.
    I noticed a number of people have the Wagner conversion gun ($`129) and others have different models they like. I also contacted Homestead Finishing to enquire about their Qualspray gravity gun. Anyone have one.

I have used a Devilbiss syphon gun for over 30 years painting almost everything including cars, race cars etc and now wood. But I want to take advantage of the benefits of HVLP especially being able to spray in closed areas like inside cabinets, etc.

Homestead has suggested the gravity feed gun. I have never used a gravity feed and wonder if anyone has comments pro and con on the gravity feed vs syphon.

BTW, I mostly spray waterborne lacquer and will probably try water based dyes as well.

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Fred, I think their Qualspray might be the same gun as the AON mini sold by spraygunworld. I have that gun and like it although I have not used enough other guns to compare. The gravity gun seems recommended by both over the older suction feed, unless you go to the remote unit. If you go gravity keep the tiny hole at the top of the cup clear. It clogs and suddenly things don't go well. It took me a while to figure that out-stupid is as stupid does. Otherwise it sprays conversion varnish and pre cat laquer well. You buy different tips and caps for WB. Dave

I have a gravity gun and am satisfied with it. Like David, I had the same problem. The vent hole at the top of the reservoir got clogged and then the gun wouldn't put out much finish. Took me a while to figure that one out, also. So when you clean, make sure that hole gets cleaned out well.

The only problem with a gravity gun is the reservoir - it sometimes gets in the way. But the only real fix is a pot - no reservoir on the gun at all.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For the sake of maneuverability, I chose a conversion gun rather than a turbine. The hose is smaller and if your air compressor puts out enough CFM, the results are good. A smaller hose means more flexibility and smooth movement of the gun.

I like to experiment, even using house paint on furniture. I chose an Apollo gun. And I got a few spray needles to accommodate thicker or thinner finishes. From various reading it seems like the best guns come from Italy. In my experience restoring automobiles I learned to buy the best tools because I'll be using them for 2 or 3 decades. I had Binks sprayguns for the cars because the paint shop at my airline said they performed the best. I've had the same guns from 1974.

But in these low-emission times, an HVLP spray rig is the best choice. They waste far less expensive finish because he overspray is limited.

I'm using an Asturo WB gravity gun set up from spray gun world, and I'm pretty happy with it. Adjustments are precise, a variety of tip sets are available for finishes of different viscosities, clean up is simple. I also have a $35 LVLP gun from Grizzly, and frankly, it works pretty well too! The Asturo is in the under $300 category, and its my go to gun for clear coats. But if you are just getting into spraying, the $35 investment is a nice way to get started, and down the road if you get a better name brand gun, the griz can still prove useful for shooting stains or sealers.

The asturo WB is the same gun as the AON mini and Qualspray. Dave

+1 on Astura. I was having a senior moment when I blogged that I bought an Apollo. I haven't used any other brand HVLP gun so I can't compare. Use so far has been modest.

Try here - huge selection, good prices and lots of information.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/

I go here to by my paint guns and supplies. The service and prices are great. http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Unless you really know what you want, I agree with the prior poster to buy a low cost, gravity feed, HVLP gun to start with. Of course a Sata or Asturo, etc. is higher quality, but those low cost Grizzly, Woodcraft, etc., which are probably all made by the same company in China, spray very well. I bought 3 guns for abouit $100, with a 0.9, 1.4, and 1.7 mm tip, respectively. I have sprayed everything but house paint with them with excellent results, at least to my and my customers' eyes. Much of the battle is adjusting the viscosity into the correct range for your gun/orifice, and Jeff Jewitt's website provides some guidelines that worked well for me. Going with waterbased only is smart since you'll have fewer safety and environmental issues and your solvent cost will be zero. The guns I have aren't stainless or chromed internally, but I've had no corrosion problems with the waterbased finishes. I just make sure to clean them out well when I'm done spraying and then I spray an ounce or so of alchohol through just to make sure any remaining water is expelled. I've been using them now for over two years and am very satisfied. Whatever you decide, do get a spray outfit. The speed and quality you can achieve are hard to match and some things, like toning, are hard to do any other way.
    Spraying inside of cabinets can be a bit of a challange, but you will learn that you can tilt the gun quite far when the cup is full which allows you to get up into corners w/o too much difficulty. Whatever difficulty there is working inside cabinets is nothing compared to trying to achieve the same quality finish with a brush.

I used to spray finishes in a professional cainet shop. I have a cheapie HVLP from HF. I am completely happy with it.

Well, I went to Princess Auto today( Canada's version of Harbor Freight) and bought a LvLp spray gun. Uses 4 cfm of air and was pretty cheap. $69. I resisted the $25 special. I thought if I don't like it I can take it back. But I like it. I can spray in the corner of boxes without getting more paint in my face than on the wood and the over spray is almost non existant. And the saving in paint will pay for itself in no time flat. It took some fiddling with the air pressure and flow rate to get a good finish but it didn't take too long to figure it out.

Think I'll be keepin it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I took someone elses suggestion to run some alcohol through it before putting it away so that should stop any corrosion probelsm. I don''t think it has all stainless steel stuff inside.
    I didn't even have to turn on the fan setup I normally use for spraying.