Thread: Waterlox sealer/finish as top coat

Waterlox sealer/finish as top coat

I made a changing table/dresser for my 1st grandchild out of cherry, and after six wipe on coats of waterlox gloss I would like less shine. Does anybody know if I can use waterlox sealer/finish as a top coat to get a more satin look?

>>>> Does anybody know if I can use waterlox sealer/finish as a top coat to get a more satin look?

Yes, no problem. Scuff sand the existing surface with 320 paper, vacuum and apply the Sealer/Finish. You have plenty of finish on your item now. I would apply only one coat of the Sealer/Finish. Be sure to stir the product thoroughly to get the flatters into suspension. Re-stir ever 5-10 minutes while applying.
    Howie.........

I don't think the sealer/finish has any flatteners... although it does say:
    "Produces a medium sheen appearance (75° gloss level when finished; fades to a 50-55° gloss level in 3-6 months)."
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks! Here are the results.DSC_0052.jpgDSC_0057.jpgDSC_0056.jpg

Very nice job Wayne.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Glad it came out great. I've used a decent amount of both the Gloss and the Original Sealer/Finish. Neither contain flatteners and don't require stirring. For whatever reason, the sealer DOES produce a lower final luster than the Gloss. The Sealer will go on very glossy, but within a week or two, it settles down. So too does the Gloss, but to a lesser extent.

I wonder why this is.

The Sealer also goes on darker than the gloss product.

It wrinkles microscopically when it dries.