Thread: Cermark to laser engrave a new Mac Book?

Cermark to laser engrave a new Mac Book?

I have to engrave a new Mac Book laptop this morning. Has anyone here used Cermark or Thermark to engrave one of the new Mac Books?
    Most of the information I have been able to locate indicates that most are just engraving Mac Books directly, anodized aluminum style.

I did an Ipad back before, the way I did it was I first etched off the text and then apply the cermark ( I sprayed (because thats all i had)) and then used the normal setting for laserbits which is s-24 p-100 ( I have a 35W system), there is a little banding going on, but Im not sure if its my machine or setting on the file.

Avi

IMG_20110812_211443.jpg

I've only done a couple but both were directly on the anodized aluminum.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Avi,

I appreciate the information, at least I know now that it can be done. I suspected that engraving a first pass to remove the anodized coating would be required before applying the Cermark and making a final engraving pass.

I decided at the last minute to just engrave the bare annodized coating, it was quick and painless in this case and I had little time to establish sped and power settings since I have never used Cermark on this particular laser.

Mike, in spite of the low contrast between the silver anodized coating and the metal the engraved logo looked fantastic. I had to spend the time scanning and converting the bitmap logo to vector so I could make some adjustments to get this one right before I engraved it but the prep time was worth the effort.

Thanks again for the help!

No problem Im glad I can help

Avi
    Epilog Mini24 35W, Mac/PC
    Photoshop/Illustrator/Corel