Thread: mounting an air filter

mounting an air filter

I picked up a Jet AFS-1000B air filter recently and I have a question about mounting it to my basement shop ceiling. I have some angle irons and was thinking of bolting them to my ceiling joists (although it looks like I might need to get through some sheet rock to expose them), and then bolting the filter to the angle irons. My brother-in-law thought directly mounting it this way would cause too much vibration upstairs--he installed his by suspending it from the ceiling using chains. I guess I could do that but I'd need to use very short chains since my ceiling is only 8 ft high and the unit is 1 foot high. It weighs 54 lbs. I once saw a "This Old House" episode where Tom Silva helped a couple cut down on vibration from their garage door opener by inserting a piece of rubber tire between the motor and the ceiling, so I could try something like that. Any advice would be appreciated.
    --Rob

I'd go with the chains or rope to avoid the vibrations upstairs. You could hang it from the bottom.... A couple strips of scrap or 2x4's with eyebolts, set the unit on the 2x's and raise it by pulling the rope and tying it off.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I just installed a JDS air filter in my shop last week. I went to Lowes and bought some heavy duty screw in eyebolts with plastic grommets. I screwed 4 of those eyebolts into the studs above the sheetrock and then used 800# chain to hang the aircleaner from the hooks. It is very sturdy and the grommet reduces vibration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cliff Newton; 02-20-2005 at 10:08 AM.

The solution above with about 2 links of chain would get your filter the highest in the air. I wouldn't bolt it directly to the ceiling for vibration reasons.

I mounted mine on the ceiling using eye bolts and carabieners. Not sure how you spell carabieners but I dont have to worry about them comming undone. And I mounted it my self using a rope and pulley system Would have taken pics but my hands were full Please excuse the cobwebs but the cleaning lady hasn't shown up yet this week

thanks

Thanks guys. Sounds like the chain approach wins (did ya really all have to agree with my brother-in-law?). Do you need to first drill a pilot hole into the joists for those eye bolts?

Yes, to the pilot holes.

As important as how you mount the air cleaner is how and where you mount it. Try to mount at about 8-10 feet above the floor (no lower than 6'or 2/3 of the floor to ceiling distance if less than 8' ceiling). Mount along the longest wall so the intake is approximately 1/3 the distance from the shorter wall. Mount no further than 4-6 inches from the wall.

The exhaust is the largest determiner of the circulation pattern. You are trying to encourage circulation parallel to the floor/ceiling so ceiling mounting is not recommended. Use a smoke stick (or a cigar) to observe and maximize circulation. Use a secondary fan to direct air to the intake if necessary. Also, consider that a standard 24" floor fan moves a lot of air and, in some shops, just positioning it in a doorway with a window or other door open can accomplish as much or more than an air cleaner. It's all in the circulation patterns.

The exhaust is the clean air so that is where you want to position yourself. Do not place the air cleaner over the dust producer. That will guarantee that the operator will be in direct line between the dust producer and the air cleaner. The operator wants to be in the clean air stream. If the dust has to pass your nose to get to the air cleaner, you get no benefits. If you have an odd shaped shop, two smaller units may be better than one large one.

DO NOT RELY ON A AIR CLEANER TO ACT AS A DUST COLLECTOR. The purpose of and air cleaner is to keep airborne dust in suspension and reduce airborne dust as quickly as possible AFTER THE DUST PRODUCER HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.
    Howie.........

Howard are you advocating mounting the cleaner to the wall or mounting the cleaner close to the wall using chains from the ceiling? I've drawn up a rough sketch of a shop to help clarify what I think you are saying. Note that the airflow washes cleaned air over the work bench and that the cleaner is positioned 16 ft (2/3 of the long wall distance) away from the workbench.

Assuming a 10 foot ceiling, would you place the cleaner at 8-9 feet? I know you state that you really need to do a smoke test, but my question refers to a ballpark location prior to testing.

Air cleaner location

Resurrecting an old thread as i am in the process of installing my air cleaner. Is it necessary to locate the air cleaner 4-6 inches from the wall per Richard Blaine's diagram (or Howard's suggestion) or is it better to install it off center but not so close to the wall?

To give some context, my shop is in the basement 12'x12' with 9' high ceilings. Everything is mobile and i typically work near the center of the shop. I am thinking of placing it along the long side about 4' away from the short side. So the question is, do i place it 4-6" from the long side or should i place it 4' away?

Quote Originally Posted by Bharat Badrinath View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread as i am in the process of installing my air cleaner. Is it necessary to locate the air cleaner 4-6 inches from the wall per Richard Blaine's diagram (or Howard's suggestion) or is it better to install it off center but not so close to the wall?

To give some context, my shop is in the basement 12'x12' with 9' high ceilings. Everything is mobile and i typically work near the center of the shop. I am thinking of placing it along the long side about 4' away from the short side. So the question is, do i place it 4-6" from the long side or should i place it 4' away?
    If its 12x12 what is the long side and which is the short side.

The thing you want is it to be out from the wall so the air will somewhat move around the shop in a circle.

There was a typo there and you caught it. It should have been 14'x12'. Will place it off center and about 4.5' from the smaller wall as i was originally planning.