Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Chest part 3 ...sliding trays

Peter, that chest looks like great work and that "collection" looks like it will give you many great projects. Well done! Well done, indeed. I have to agree with P. Hawser above that your choice of plywood is nothing to be ashamed of. Use the materials you have on hand or can come by cheaply. That's one of the Schwarz's [and others'] best pieces of advice no matter what the project.

Besides, plywood's stronger than pine of that thickness. If it's really that much heavier than you thought it would be, maybe it'll last longer that way!
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Peter, thanks for all the pictures. Looking at old tools seems to be a popular past time.

The larger claw hammer in the 3rd picture of the first set. It it a vintage hammer or a new one? Does it have a brand name on it? It has an interesting shaped head. I must confess, I like hammers.

Thanks for the sharing about your chest. Great build.

Blog Entries
    The larger claw hammer in the 3rd picture of the first set. It it a vintage hammer or a new one? Does it have a brand name on it? It has an interesting shaped head. I must confess, I like hammers.
    One of my claw hammers has a similar shape. It is a Stanley from about the 1960s.

I have heard of it being called a "bell head hammer." It just came to me that monicker may be related to many of them being used by the Bell System when it existed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the pics, that's a sick collection of tools, and they look so clean.

Blog Entries
    Love the saw till in the top. A better tool chest is somewhere on my list of things to build.

Peter,

Very nice job!

Like some of the others also pointed out, you took an approach that I and others also do, in that you used the plywood you had on hand. This approach uses up spare lumber to create a useful object, and also saves on expenditures.

Great job. It looks like you will have a very useful chest for many years.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Gallaher View Post
    Peter, thanks for all the pictures. Looking at old tools seems to be a popular past time.

Thanks for the sharing about your chest. Great build.
    Lonnie, it's a NOS Vaughan Grayvik 16 oz. English Nail Hammer from Harry J. Epstein.

Thanks guys, this is an old thread, and I've been using the chest for 4 year now and it's held up great. It protects the tools very well against rust. But even 2 grown men struggle to carry it. Next time I'll build it lighter!