Thread: Lv #4

Lv #4

Looking at purchasing a #4 plane...always read about the LN #4 but very little about the LV....any owners of a LV #4 out there?

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

I have a LV 4 1/2 bevel down and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    Looking at purchasing a #4 plane...always read about the LN #4 but very little about the LV....any owners of a LV #4 out there?

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    I have one which I bought from a fellow Creeker.
    I like it enormously. It has one feature that I really am impressed with, and this is the adjustable mouth.
    The whole frog moves forward or backward to close or open the mouth. Unlike the Stanley Bedrock and Lie Nielsen designs, the blade stays at exactly the same height when the mouth opening is changed. This enables a mouth adjustment without a depth adjustment of the blade as on the Bedrock and Lie Nielsen planes.
    Some don't like the handle but it gets more comfortable as the height of your workbench gets higher.
    The Lie Nielsen is comfortable on the lower benches and the Veritas on the higher benches like mine.
    I recommend it without reservation, but you should try one if you can, to see if it suits your planing style.
    Cheers
    MC
    Last edited by Martin Cash; 08-13-2011 at 5:56 AM.

Hi Jim,

If you go to the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend(Sept. 9-11)these guys(http://www.ptwoodschool.com/2011WoodCourses.html) will be there. I'm pretty sure they have a full compliment of Veritas planes, etc. for you to try out.

Chris...haha...you are right! In fact I am taking a class Labor Day week with Chris Schwarz at the Port Townsend School of WW...you reminded me that they have a full compliment of Veritas planes!!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

I've had a #4 for several years now. Love it! Adjustable mouth, stable blade adjustment, very good cap iron/blade, and a comfortable tote. You won't regret the purchase!

Regards,

Ron

I have to agree with Martin and Ron ..it is a great plane that feels good to the hand...I have never regrettted buying it ..it was my first "High End " plane purchase..and I now have 8 LV planes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Grady View Post
    I have a LV 4 1/2 bevel down and love it.
    Ditto, but I also have the LN #4 and love that too. Get both! :-)