Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley 720 Socket Chisels

The only difference between the 720 and 750 is the original length. The 720s were "Firmer chisels" and were originally 6 inches long. The 750s were "butt chisels" and originally 3 1/4 in. long.

Both the 720 and 750s were made well into the 1960s, perhaps even the 1970s. I believe, though I'm not entirely positive, that the earlier ones did not have the model number stamped on them. The later ones, at least those shown in the 19634 catalog, do have the model number stamped on the socket.

-Josh

I have considered selling them. I don't know what they would go for. I have quite a few other tools (planes mostly) that are pretty common. If someone could pm me a price range they think is appropriate, I would appreciate it (hope this isn't breaking forum rules). Mr. Clark was gracious enough to look at them and offer his assesment, but after learning more about them (at least myself), another opinion would give me a little more confidence. I have done quite a bit of woodworking in my previous life, but health issues (both me and my wife) have taken that pleasure away. BTW, David, you mention the auction houses. What about ebay? Thanks again, Ron.
    Last edited by Ron Kent; 08-13-2011 at 7:16 PM. Reason: spelling

That group should bring around 200 dollars if you list it very soon. For some reason stanley chisels are in high demand right now. Maybe Chris Swartz mentioned using one recently.

Here are two No. 720 chisels -- 7/8" and 1/4" widths -- Pre-WWII, brand new, never used -- the edges have never contacted wood:

James
    Last edited by James Pickering; 08-13-2011 at 9:59 PM. Reason: changeed wording

Here are two No. 720 chisels -- 7/8" and 1/4" widths -- Pre-WWII, brand new, never used -- the edges have never contacted wood:

James
    Look at these it reminds me of the thought I had when seeing Ron's ...

... what happened to the red lacquer? (Personally I like the plane wood better).

Regards from Perth

Derek

My 1939 Stanley catalog lists both the 750 and 720 in 1 3/4"

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground

Stanley 720 Chisels

James,I have two 720s in identical unused shape that I picked up a few years ago thinking I might use them. Mine are 5/8 and 3/8 so between us we would have half a set. Since acquiring these 720s, I picked up a full set of LN chisels so I fully intend to get rid of my 720s to a collector, I just have not gotten around to it. With e-Bay charging the fees it does, I don't think I will go that route. I have not seen new ones go for much less than $50.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island