Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper vs router table

Shaper vs router table

I have a Triton router in a table which has worked well for a few years.
    The router is on it's way out (speed control does what it wants to do and no spares available in Banana Land).
    I have the option of getting a Rockwell LD shaper as against a new router. Price is about the same.
    Thoughts on a shaper as against a router in a table.
    Thanks
    Phil

When I buy a truck again someday, I will be looking for a small to mid-sized truck with decent mileage and reliability. The farthest offroad I will ever get is if there is dirt on my driveway. Others need the biggest trailer-puller and dirt-load carrier they can with 4-wheel drive for the mud.

For the same reasons, I choose a router table over a shaper. The cost of shaper cutters alone makes me shy away. With that said, if you cut profiles in miles of boards with deep cuts or if you have room and money for a shaper table and cutters, and another way to do small stuff, go for it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

If you can afford to have a shaper, you can afford to have a modest router table too.

They are two different tools. I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick shaper. But it would be more expensive in the long run in the long run to not have a router table, as the cutters cost more. Plus switching out the shaper spindle to a router collet and changing speeds would be annoying.

I suppose you could get a small shaper and set it up to exclusively use router bits, but then I would call it a router table.

-Steve

Since you are happey with your table, I would stick with it and get another router. You will need a router bit collet for the shaper unless you want to replace all of your bits with cutters. I was in a similar situation about a year ago but I wasn't happy with my table. It was home made and needed to be redone. I looked at tops, fences, lifts, etc. I ended up getting a good deal on a 3hp shaper and added a router bit collet. I still have my router table but have not used it. I think the router table is a little better for most things then the Delta LD shaper.

I don't like router tables myself, and I want a small 4cyl truck too!

I just don't feel the routertable is safe enough after using a shaper. The bits can easily be induced to start a wobble if pushed too hard, not so on the shaper. I have close to thirty routers with bits up to a 5" diameter, and I use them freehand. Contrary to popular opinion I feel that is safer, and a router has never bit me in immeasurable miles of cuts.

It really depends what you want to make and how much you are making of it, but in my book if you are pushing stock by hand at a cutter, I would rather it be a nice hefty shaft holding that cutter. That being said, router table or shaper, I want a power feed. Some of the small ones are cheap and will give you better results and make your work safer. Give it a thought as well.......

Thanks to all for your nice spread of comments.
    I think that if I can organize the funds I will get the shaper and will keep the router table for when I need it.
    Forgot to mention that there about 20 cutters included with the shaper which will reduce the initial tooling cost a bit.
    Cheers
    Phil

The extra 20 cutters could change the equation for me just a wee bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hansen View Post
    Thanks to all for your nice spread of comments.
    I think that if I can organize the funds I will get the shaper and will keep the router table for when I need it.
    Forgot to mention that there about 20 cutters included with the shaper which will reduce the initial tooling cost a bit.
    Cheers
    Phil
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

The problem with using router bits in a shaper is spindle sped. Most shapers run 7,000-10,000 R.P.M. That might be fine with a 3 1/2" panel raiser but 1/4" straight bit? Seems a little slow. The baby power feeder does seem like a nice idea on router tables. I often get a bump when I reset my hands while feeding stock plus I find it hard to maintain a truly even rate of feed. Climb cutting may become practical. The baby Grizzly feeder is 20 lbs. I've heard the baby feeders called a waste of money. They likely are on shapers running long heavy stock. I wonder about on router tables.

Larry
    You have a good point I think the problem comes from people wanting to use a router table as a shaper and the tooling people have made bits that are really to big for long term router use.
    my question for the original poster is what go you use a router table or shaper for, if you are leaning towards making a fair amount of raised panels and cabinet doors I would be leaning towards shaper. If you wanted to make a bunch of interior doors i would go defiantly shaper. If you want to make custom furniture I would go with a router table.
    If the shaper is the rockwell version I'm thinking of it is pretty light duty with a 1/2" spindle and in my opinion is not an upgrade over a good router table. I think that to get the most out of a shaper you need a nice more industrial version with a shaft diameter of at least an inch, this will cut down on vibration and give you really nice cuts.
    Tom

Router bits aren't necessarily cheaper than shaper cutters. If you are using them in a home shop, many serviceable cutters can be had from companies like Woodline for about twice what a good router bit costs. I have never worn one out and only have to sharpen them rarely. Another advantage to the shaper is that with insert cutters any shape you want is available.

I have both and use the router table more. The shaper is slow to set up and mostly I am doing chamfers or eased edges. I have run moulding for a new house and done lots of repetitive work on the shaper .. when set up, its 10x the tool of the router table.

If you get a shaper, consider a good power feeder. I have a Maggi 3 wheeler on mine. Without a power feeder, I would probably not own a shaper.. Life is too short.. lol

The LD shaper takes 1/2 inch bore cutters, and having 20 of them is a nice extra since they run about $10-15 each used at auction sites and $18 new at Corob Cutters. One advantage of the shaper is that you can stack cutters and rub collars to make different profiles. Another is that if it has a reversing switch you can flip the cutter and run wood the opposite way if the grain demands it. A third advantage is that the shaper's induction motor is MUCH quieter than the universal motor of a router. So it does have some advantages over a router table.

Thank you all for your replies.
    Lots of good advice and lots to think about (money ) before making a decision.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have both and use the router table more. The shaper is slow to set up and mostly I am doing chamfers or eased edges. I have run moulding for a new house and done lots of repetitive work on the shaper .. when set up, its 10x the tool of the router table.

If you get a shaper, consider a good power feeder. I have a Maggi 3 wheeler on mine. Without a power feeder, I would probably not own a shaper.. Life is too short.. lol
    I will agree 100% with what Rick stated, a router table is much quicker to do small tasks on. But for larger jobs like moldings, panel doors, large profiles, the shaper shines.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I will agree 100% with what Rick stated, a router table is much quicker to do small tasks on. But for larger jobs like moldings, panel doors, large profiles, the shaper shines.
    Jeff, I agree, however...........

I don't own a router table and probably never will. I use a shaper a lot, and yes it takes time to setup, however mine's a huge space saver, it's built into my sliding table saw.

I use HSS knives in an insert head, inexpensive cutters, great surface finish, and a shaper is far superior in performance to the router table.

Regards, Rod.