Thread: What SCMS would you get?

What SCMS would you get?

Got our tax refund, and LOML has agreed to the purchase of a new SCMS. I am looking at the Makita 1214, or the Bosch 4410. Which one would you get, and why? Other than cutting larger crown molding, what other advantages are there between a 10" SCMS and a 12"SCMS. Thanks for input.
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

I would get a 10" as that matches the CrfMns I already got and my table saw. No reason to have 2 different diameters in the shop. And I would get the Makita 1214 as the reviews are good. I've had the oportunity to use a 12" Bosch and wasn't overly impressed. Just my .02
    Jim

I have the Bosch 12" and the Dewalt 12" SCMS. Even with the controls up front on the Bosch I like the Dewalt much better. And I don"t know why, it just seems to run a little smoother.

Richard

scms

Makita ls1214. I love it. I use a scms 40 hrs a week. For me its a ergonomics thing. Its also lighter then the bocsh and mine gets moved job to job every week or so. Dead on accurate after a pickup truck ride.
    About the size issue, why gamble a couple of dollars against the day you are going to need the capacity? You know the day after you take delivery of that 10 inch. Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Between those two, I would go with the Makita. My dad has had a makita 10 inch slider for about 5 years now. It is still a great saw!

I'll take the other tack, I have used the DeWalt and the Bosch 4412 and I purchased the Bosch without a second thought. Up front controls, safety switches accessible by both thumbs, rotatable handle for either comfort or when switching hands, a carrying handle that is comfortable enough for me to carry the unit, high fences, accessories like auxilary support, stops and a hold down supplied with the unit instead of being about $30 extra (each). In addition, dead accurate once I did a little tune up. Bosch didn't have the 10" version of my saw out when I bought so that wasn't an option for me. I like the 12" when I'm on a jobsite but if it was just for the shop and you will never build something like a deck or play system then the 10" might work as well. The Makita I've no real experience with other than using a couple of times but it has a good reputation. I've owned the Bosch for about a year now and would not hesitate to buy again.

Unless you really think that you need the cutting capacity, I would go with the 10". I have the LS1013 for two years now and love it. I have also used a Dewalt and that was nice for handle position, not nice enought to switch. You won't go wrong with any of these top saws, pick the one that is comfortable for you to use.

Makita 1214 hands down....when I replace my 1013, this is the one I will buy.

Charlie, I don't know about Dewalt's warranty, but Bosch's registration, warranty and service program is hard to beat. Any of the big name saws will work fine, though I just used a friend's 10" Mak. slider and did not like the placement of the gradations to the right of the table. I'm sure that I could get used to it but I couldn't see the numbers with a board against the fence. The new Mak 12" looks pretty sweet, though.

Thumbs up

I absolutely love my Bosch 4410. It is one of those tools that make you smile every time you use it. I struggled with the investment to begin with and now thank the woodworking gods that I took the plunge. It is an outstanding tool and I give it my highest endorsement.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I understand that the new Bosch 4510/4512 will have several upgrades including a laser at little to no increase in price. Due out very soon.

Dar

makita rebates

Charlie don't know if you pulled the trigger or not yet, but I see that Amazon has a $75 rebate for Makita saws and free shipping. I was looking for something else and ran across it. let us know what you buy

And the winner is..........

Thanks for all of the input. I spent some more time researching both saws and will be ordering the Makita 1214 next week. Ahhhh the anticipation of a new tool!!
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

Charlie, don't forget that you can also get $25 off of a $200 purchase, with free shipping and a $75 rebate! Sounds like a great deal to me!