Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking to purchase CNC router

Newbie looking to purchase CNC router

I need to buy a CNC router but don't know anything about the manufacturers. I'm looking for a small bench top model that I can route small signs (8" x 11").

A little larger is fine, but I'd rather not go the Chinese route, I'v seen all the different models on Ebay and seems to me that support would be nill. I would prefer a US made machine. Obviously price is a factor as well.

Thanks
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

You'll get a number of responses but take a look at Camaster. U.S. made.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Shopbot, Camaster, Rockler Shark, and lower end would be Carvewright. Check out the forums for each one Great support for Shopbot and Camaster.

There's some good info in this thread: Affordable CNC... It’s a couple of years old so some of the info is dated.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wouldn't be so quick to throw the Chinese machines under the bus. I have a Chinese 6040 unit. I did replace the electronics with a stepper driver from Gecko, but the only reason I did that was to provide a bit more flexibility in the I/O. My 6040 unit uses high grade linear bearings and ball lead-screws and it has a water cooled spindle (no sawdust in the motor) with digital VFD drive. The frame is made from 5/8" and thicker aluminum jig plate. Among other things, I use it to mill circuit boards where I need accuracy better than 0.002", and it does it easily. You would have no problem milling two-color plastic.
    As an example, the Shark uses a plastic frame and cheap acme leadscrews. Many of the other units use belts or chains which are not precise and have lost motion.
    There's not much to the support issue other than the fact that whatever you buy, you will need to learn as much about it as you can. The more generic build-it-yourself and the Chinese machines, will require a good beit of learning on your part. But, you will know all about the machine and you should be able to mantain it yourself without having to call a factory for parts. If your machine uses Mach3 to drive it, you will have a huge user support resource you can tap into.

Any thoughts on the Laguna Tools IQ benchtop?
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

the laguna benchtop shown in atlanta is a chinese knock of of the CAMaster stinger made in cartersville GA.

For my immediate needs I really don't need much table area and I already own a Smithy Granite 1340 Drill/Mill/Lathe. I was considering upgrading it to flashcut CNC. I just spoke with Flashcut and they can import DXF files which I can export from Corel. I was just looking for some feedback from those familiar with Flashcut.

All I'm trying to do is simple routing and cutting of small signs (8" x 11") and my usual metal work.

Thanks
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Martinez View Post
    For my immediate needs I really don't need much table area and I already own a Smithy Granite 1340 Drill/Mill/Lathe. I was considering upgrading it to flashcut CNC. I just spoke with Flashcut and they can import DXF files which I can export from Corel. I was just looking for some feedback from those familiar with Flashcut.

All I'm trying to do is simple routing and cutting of small signs (8" x 11") and my usual metal work.

Thanks

Correct me if i am wrong, yet isn't Flashcut a control program,, not a machine?

Flashcut makes a complete CNC retrofit kit for Benchtop mills, which includes the motors, controller and software.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

i would love to have a mill!!

Jim,

Purchase the Grizzly Woodworkers Mill and write a review. Over the years not one person that I know of has bought this machine and let us know about it here at The Creek. I would love to know how well it performs. I would buy one but I'm poor

Ernie, another option for you is to buy a rotary engraving machine if you only want to machine small plaques. Its not a router but it has some advantages over a router for small jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Jim,

Purchase the Grizzly Woodworkers Mill and write a review. Over the years not one person that I know of has bought this machine and let us know about it here at The Creek. I would love to know how well it performs. I would buy one but I'm poor

If you mean the G9959, they no longer sell it. It was too light and flimsy for metalworking and not enough travel to be useful for woodworking.

Thanks, Looks like I'm back to a router, since my Smithy's xy travel is TOO restrictive for any thing I need to do. I'm leaning towards the Laguna IQ.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Martinez View Post
    Thanks, Looks like I'm back to a router, since my Smithy's xy travel is TOO restrictive for any thing I need to do. I'm leaning towards the Laguna IQ.
    I have no first hand experience but there are threads where Laguna's after-sale support has been ....... spotty.