Thread: Bench Dog Pro Max Router Table Extension bottom side dust collection

Bench Dog Pro Max Router Table Extension bottom side dust collection

Let me start by saying I have read all of the threads I could find on this topic.

As the title says. I'm looking at what I can do to get some bottom side dust collection set up for my Bench Dog Pro Max router table extension. It is mounted on the left side of my Unisaw. I am using a JessEm lift with a Milwaukee 3.5 HP router. The only tapped bosses on the bottom of the table top are for the J bolts to hang the fence from. In some of the threads circa 2008 or so guys were showing photos were there were two additional threaded bosses on the saw side of the table as well. Mine does not have this. There doesn't appear to be a good spot for tapping holes, so something else will have to do the job of attaching a box to the top.

Clearance is tight between the unisaw's side handle and the lift/motor. I removed the shaft part of the handle so it is just the round wheel now. I am fine with this compromise to get some dust collection going.

My thought is to build a box similar to what Jim did here.

Does anyone have any ideas, comments or suggestions?

Why not use something like these to secure a box to the underside of the bench dog table extension?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43455&p=56000

I have the same bench dog extension but I have a dust shroud around my freud router to collect the dust.

Peter's suggestion should work fine -- I have one of these magnets and it takes a lot of force to remove. These are a bit pricey though so a couple of other possibilities:
    1. Do you have fence storage brackets on the left side of your saw? If so, you should be able to install a board or metal piece to provide a support "ledge" for the bottom of the box closest to the table saw. Use the outside fence holder holes to support the outside of the shroud. IMO, this ledge would not need to support a lot of weight: I removed the inside clamping nuts on my dust shroud and the box dropped only ~1/8" on the inside -- and this is with a shroud made from 3/4" plywood and lots of stuff hanging from it. Lighter shroud with no extras would make the weight support requirement even less.
    2. You could also support the box from the bottom with a spacer leg to the floor or diagonal support to fit metal trim at table saw bottom. This inside bottom support still in combination with outside support clamping nuts using your existing router fence holder holes.
    Good luck! Dust shroud is definitely worth the effort IMO -- reducing the chips, quieter router operation and I think the air flow from the DC keeps the router cooler in operation.

Fence storage brackets on my Unisaw in the photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim McFarland; 08-19-2011 at 8:37 AM.

Peter, I like those magnets, but the return on investment isn't there for me in this application. It's a good idea!

Jim, thanks for the ideas and information! My saw does not have the fence storage brackets. I'm thinking about incorporating fence storage into this project though.

I like the diagonal support arm up from the mobile base.

Steven, I have the Bench Dog/PC7518 on my Unisaw and as you mentioned the clearance between the saws elevation wheel and the router body is extremely tight. I contemplated building a box but decided to go with one of these instead: Dust Router.

I haven’t installed mine yet but there’s a good thread on it here: Dust Router by Keen.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Steven, I did the "build the box" method for my own http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=Benchdoghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=Benchdog... The end result was just great. The thread I reference shows how I utilized the existing bolt holes on the underside of the cast iron top to provide a mounting point for the cabinet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I started building a box out of stuff I had on hand. I cut dado's for the box using the router in the table. There wasn't a lot of dust on the bottom side with a 4" hose connected to the fence. This setup is going to work very well for dust collection. I am very happy with the JessEm lift and the Milwaukee 3.5hp router. I bought the lift and router used. The Bench Dog cast iron wing was on consignment at a local machine dealer for half price. I'm happy to have this setup in the shop for well under half of retail prices..

I used my Kreg pocket screw jig for the first time on this project to attach a 1x3 pine strip that will attach to the fence hook threaded bosses.

Photos of what I've done thus far..

The bottom is hinged. There is a stud opposite the hinges that will have a wing nut to keep it closed. I can have the door part way open to allow for airflow if needed.

I removed the handle off of the wheel on the side of my Unisaw for clearance. I don't think I will be fussed by it not being there.