Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Combined Thien filter / DC setup

Blog Entries

My Combined Thien filter / DC setup

I keep forgetting to post pics of my version of the Thien filter DC mods. This is based upon the Penn state DC2000B 2HP dust collector and documents my attempts to make things a bit more efficient.

In it's from-the-factory form, the motor/impeller housing sits on the bottom of a mobile base with the intake coming from the side, and the exhaust aiming straight up. For the typical permanent installation where the piping follows the ceiling/walls, this presents several inefficiences: the piping must take a 90 degree bend to get into the impeller (via a dual 4" port), and the exhaust must follow a second 90 degree bend (via a 5" flex hose) to get to the dust separation hose. Dust "separation" is accomplished via a truncated cone (hole in the middle) housed in a metal vortex ring... attached to the top of the ring is a 0.5 micron dust bag, and a collection bag is attached to the bottom. Workable, but it could be so much better.

DC2000B.jpg

So, let's start with the unnecessary bends in the airflow. I built a platform from 2x4s and 1/4" plywood that raises the motor/impeller housing to be level with the metal ring the filter and bag are connected to. This removes the bend in the flex house, as well as shortens the air path through a less-than-smooth duct. At the same time, rotating the housing on it's side faces the intake up, removing yet another 90 degree turn.
    Platform.jpg

To avoid having the motor/impeller housing sit far off of the mobile base, the port on the ring needs to be on the other side. I didn't want to block the old port and recreate a new one on the opposite side, so I compromised... I flipped the entire ring over. This lowers the collection bag several inches, but in practice it's not a big deal.
    Inside_Ring.jpg

The new problem is the vortex cone... now it's upside down (pointing upwards). I was going to cut it out completely and insert a Thien filter, but better sense prevailed. If I blocked the center portion (seen here done with a piece of plastic sheet... later replaced with a piece of fiberboard when the pressure differential ripped it open the first time I turned it on), I could cut the cone in the same way a Thien filter would be cut. A bracket was added to the side to give the cone some stability.
    Ring_Top_Down.jpg

The dust bag was replaced with a Wynn Environmental Nano filter. In it's normal configuration, the filter would be held to the vortex cone via three turnbuckles. With the upside down cone, however, and the fact that the outside of the cone is now cut out (the filter diameter is smaller than the cone), that setup no longer works. A new platform was created using a spare piece of 1/4" plywood. The four angle brackets seen around the side of the ring are what hold the plywood on.
    Filter_Ring.jpg

Four holes were cut in the metal ring of the filter itself to hold it to the plywood platform.
    Filter_Mounting_Holes.jpg

In practice, it works quite well, and I've been happy with the performance so far, particularly for the price. I had plenty of plywood and 2x4s, so the cost pretty much came from the Nano filter and the angle brackets. The dual-port adaptor originally on the unit was removed to bring in a straight line to the 5" intake (I intend to widen it a bit at some point), and it was repurposed as a dual port for the bandsaw (one 4" line goes under the table, the other 4" line hangs above the table to catch everything that doesn't go down).

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

How stable is it rolling around on the floor with the motor (weight) higher? I have a Jet Dc1100 and am planning to get it up and running with A Wynn filter and a Thein baffle somehow. But I need it on wheels.

Dan - neat mod and a little different approach to the usual Thien DC ring modification.

A couple questions for you:

1. How hard was it to trim your inner cone ring? It looks like you did a real neat job and I'm not sure how you cut it out so well without removing it from the DC ring itself.

2. Any reason you went with this approach rather than the "top hat" design?

3. Can I trouble you to post another photo or two of the complete assembly, and maybe how you secured the mod'ed Wynn nano filter down to the DC ring. I'm assuming you clamped or screwed the ply disk down to get an airtight seal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    How stable is it rolling around on the floor with the motor (weight) higher? I have a Jet Dc1100 and am planning to get it up and running with A Wynn filter and a Thein baffle somehow. But I need it on wheels.
    One, if not two, of the casters don't roll well (crappy casters are supplied), but it drags well enough. I have to grab it low because of the dragging, but pushing from the top it is still plenty stable. If it had decent casters on it, I don't think you'd have any problem keeping it mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Qualmann View Post
    1. How hard was it to trim your inner cone ring? It looks like you did a real neat job and I'm not sure how you cut it out so well without removing it from the DC ring itself.

2. Any reason you went with this approach rather than the "top hat" design?

3. Can I trouble you to post another photo or two of the complete assembly, and maybe how you secured the mod'ed Wynn nano filter down to the DC ring. I'm assuming you clamped or screwed the ply disk down to get an airtight seal.
    1) I used a Dremel with a metal cutting wheel to trim the cone. I held a Sharpie against a block of wood to keep a constant distance, then I ran the block of wood around the inside of the ring. Once I had a good mark, cutting was straightforward. The mandrel on my wheel is bent, so the Dremel has to work harder (need to replace it)... meant I had to do it in a few stages to keep the motor cool, but overall I don't think it took me more than 15 minutes to do.

2) It was faster, and I knew performance wouldn't be any different between the two as the center of the cone is irrelevant. It didn't require me to fabricate anything other than the filter mounting plate.

3) What you don't see is a circle of compression foam where the filter plate connects to the ring... I bought some really spongy stuff at Home Depot used for window sills, and it makes for a great seal. the plate itself is attached to the filter via the 4 screws shown in the fifth picture using the holes in the filter (shown in the last pic). The filter comes with a strip of compression foam already.

Do you have a photo of the whole thing assembled? Are you pleased with the results?

Blog Entries
    Not on hand, but if memory holds up, I'll try to include one. So far, she's been operating beautifully. The last few weeks has seen mostly bandsaw work (when time permits)... I've been cutting up fall-off into blanks, and the bag is half filled with dust.

Do you have a photo of your completed setup?

Steve, Dan is computerless until the end of the week or so. He'll get back to you, I'm sure...
    I drink, therefore I am.

(A bracket was added to the side to give the cone some stability.)

Although your design may require this bracket I removed mine as it would catch the odd trash I was picking up like rags and gloves (LOL) unaware of weakening collection. I have now placed a Plexy glass window about 1" x 3". It is still clear no scratching. I can inspect the quality of air/dust movement and any obstructions. Having learned so much from this first build Id like a re-due, but would start with a 3hp unit.

Great looking set up so far hope to get more picks when your up and running again.
    Thanks,

Raul- Do you have photos you can post?

Yes of course,

1.JPG2.JPG3.jpg
    Ive re framed this one, much better to build your own platform as these are flimsy. Im not using filters $, but my friends live a distance and the particles are very fine mostly undetectable. 2hp harborfreight with 4" ducting.
    Last edited by raul segura; 10-24-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Nice mod! Your revised motor set up is just like my delta 50-760..... The impeller connects right to the collection housing, no flex pipe in the middle. You make a good point about removing bends where possible - I am debating keeping the hose connection on the bottom and adding a chip separator w/ Thien baffle underneath, *or* flipping it over as you have done in order to remove a bend. I have not decided which approach I will take....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Dan,

That looks pretty good. I am planning on doing something similar with my HF 2HP DC, except I plan on integrating a separator barrel. I am rummaging around for a 30 gallon fiber drum if I can ever find one in good shape locally... The 55 gallon barrel is too stinking big!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    Do you have a photo of your completed setup?
    As it currently stands in the middle of one wall...
    Final DC Setup.jpg

Theeeeeeeeere he is! Welcome back, Dan.
    I drink, therefore I am.