Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMC Rock Star: Scott Holmes

Scott,

I am new to woodworking/finihsing and I have noticed your consistent posts you have provided to all SMC members, including mysefl. Thank you for all that you do and congratulations on the future article. Well deserved and hopefully you continue to be recognized.

As for the brush cleaning video. Bought some very nice brushes and picked up some great tips on keeping the brushes clean. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    OK Kent, I've updated my Avitar

"The only negative thing that I saw in the video..........Scott, 'ol pal.......your avatar photo is a few grey hairs out of date, I'm afraid. "

... to the picture they will be using in the Dec/Jan 2012 issue of American Woodworker Magazine.

Thanks again for the kind words.
    You're still a handsome devil, Scott. And now, the color of your hair matches mine.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    You're still a handsome devil, Scott. And now, the color of your hair matches mine.
    I noticed your avatar doesn't have your silver locks depicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I noticed your avatar doesn't have your silver locks depicted.
    And it never will. I'll give you this much - my last haircut was mid-October 2008. Returning to the pony-tailed hippie days of my misspent youth.

EDIT: Oops - wrong year on the haircut. Going on 3 years now.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 09-27-2011 at 6:26 AM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Good job, Scott!

Most of what you said in the video was new to me. Thanks!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Ditto

A few guys come to mind on this site who are not only talented, unique craftsmen, but freely give of their time and expertise to the throng of we novices - Scott is among that small group. Thanks Scott for your past, personal help for me and Congrats on the AW writing gig! Can't wait to see the Dec issue! Jeff
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Scott, I am following your video for the finish of the white oak outdoor table (on this thread
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-Dining-Table

I even got a stainless steel pan that looks like yours. So far so good. This is so much better for me than just written words. Thank you Scott.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hey Scott,

Nice video, and thanks for pointing out the benefit of frayed ends. I've always looked at that feature
    of bristles as negative, due to the lack of control (like for example, cutting latex paint in corners) and
    yielding a clean line.

Any tips on fully reviving an old brush that was used primarily for latex painting to be reborn as
    a varnishing brush? It seems there's always a tiny trace amount of residue left behind, no matter how
    much elbow grease and brush cleaner used.

Thanks for your contributions to SMC,
    Carl

Scott, very nicely done! Never thought too much about saving the MS but at today's cost, makes a lot of sense.

Kent, thanks for posting the link.

Chuck

Saving the mineral spirits and reusing it has helped me with the disposal problem.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Carl,

Cleaning an old paint brush can be done with a chemical stripper. If it's a quality brush you should be able to restore it's usefulness. I don't think it's worth cleaning a cheap brush; it may fall apart. I don't think a good latex paint brush would be a good choice for varnish. Latex paints (all water-borne) are best applied with a synthetic bristle and oil based varnishes are better applied with a natual bristle.

I use a brush for only one type of finish; even if it could be used for more than one type.

e.g. varnish and shellac. I still don't share between finish types.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.