Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMC Rock Star: Scott Holmes

SMC Rock Star: Scott Holmes

Scott is doing articles for American Woodworker Magazine - first one due out in the Dec/Jan 2012 issue

He's also doing hip-hop videos for MTV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZW8d...ature=youtu.be

That video gave me examples for an easier path to follow on routine stuff - very helpful, actually, on simple stuff like cleaning a brush and loading a brush - I was over-driving my headlights.

The only negative thing that I saw in the video..........Scott, 'ol pal.......your avatar photo is a few grey hairs out of date, I'm afraid.

Good luck on the articles - I'll be reading 'em. Let us know when you have more articles and videos, eh?

Regards,

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thank you Kent. MTV?

American Woodworker Magazine did the video ... I'll bet MTV videos pay a lot more!

I've been told that grey hair is a sign of wisdom... I guess it would be wise to update the photo.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    Great video, Scott. Thanks for the heads up, Kent. Post the links if you make more.

Scott,

I wanted to ask you, who made the nice comment about your Youtube video?

What an articulate guy, and good looking too. Doesn't sound like he's from Texas though. Good job Scott.

debzam 1 week ago

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Thank you Kent. MTV?
    Yeah - I know - a bit over-the-top with the poetic license. I just figured that would get more clicks than saying "how to clean a brush".
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Gotta give you credit for this one, Scott. Even though it's information that most folks already (should) know, your presentation didn't talk down to anyone who did. Very concise and to the point.

If you're going to be the official "published expert", does that mean I can't fight with you anymore ??? NAH ... what was I thinking ???

Nice to put a face to all the great and generous advice. Scott and the other pros make SMC a really precious find for guys like me.

That's my cousin Debbie; she always rubs it in that I was not born in Texas, she was. I got back here as quick as I could.
    I did attend Kindergarden and 3rd grade in Galveston, texas; spend most summers there, too.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Nice video Scott, congrats on the articles. Your professional advice is always nice to read, and much appreciated.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Great video. The brush cleaning kinda reminded me of the "SNL anal retentive chef" bit (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ive-chef/2867/), but that probably explains why none of my brushes last more than 20 or 30 uses.

Congratulations, Scott!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Great video. The brush cleaning kinda reminded me of the "SNL anal retentive chef" bit (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ive-chef/2867/), but that probably explains why none of my brushes last more than 20 or 30 uses.
    I have to agree the most informative part was the cleaning. I have been hesitant to buy a brush for more then about $10 but after watching that video I may have to spend the money on a good brush. I am going to guess that with a change to the approiate cleaner that technique would apply to most finishes.

Added tips for my SMC friends... Thanks for watching.

It's even a faster clean-up if you use lacquer thinner instead of the citrus cleaner. Still use the soap and water and when doing your final rinse in water... once you think it's soap free. Keep rubding the brush into your palm you will be amazed at how much soap you may have missed. If soap suds come back rinse and repeat. You don't want to leave soap in the brush.
    Scott

Definately agree!!

OK Kent, I've updated my Avitar

"The only negative thing that I saw in the video..........Scott, 'ol pal.......your avatar photo is a few grey hairs out of date, I'm afraid. "

... to the picture they will be using in the Dec/Jan 2012 issue of American Woodworker Magazine.

Thanks again for the kind words.
    Scott