Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Treating a table saw top for periods of non-use?

Here's another for the Johnson's Paste Wax. I'm here in Savannah, GA, so I completely understand what you mean about the "heat wave". Been using it for years and like you, I only get to use the saw about once a month (due to heat in garage also). Put on a liberal coat! I always buff mine out right afterwards, but as you said, you don't intend to use your TS until OCT, so maybe leaving it on until then and buffing off might work well in your situation

Blog Entries
    My newest saw is in MS and to take care of it, T9 works, paste wax does also. But probably best advise, especially as we get closer to winter is to put on a blanket after treatment.
    Keeps moisture from condensing on the metal as temps rise and fall in the shop. I've an old bedspread that is quilted. gives the saw a good cover to prevent rust.
    I didn't believe it at first, but it made a huge difference last winter when I didn't use saw for months on end.

Ok guys, I'm sold........Johnson's Wax it is!.....Thanks!!

When I put the wax on, I clean the top first, slather the wax on, and melt it in with a heat gun. Then I buff it up, and cover it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I live in central Kentucky, Johnson's paste wax has been my choice for yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    When I put the wax on, I clean the top first, slather the wax on, and melt it in with a heat gun. Then I buff it up, and cover it.
    Myk, I've read a number of your posts where you say this. I'm intrigued. How often do you have to re-apply?

Remember, what you are trying to avoid is moisture contacting the surface. Anything that covers the surface a prevents the moisture getting through will work with T9 and Johnson's Paste Wax being the top two contenders.
    Placing a blanket over it will help prevent moisture in the air from condensing on the surface but remember if you have really high sustained humidity a blanket will absorbe the moisture also and help trap it near the table surface so you are better off having something that will not let the moisture through like plastic and keeping that plastic pressed close to the surface to keep air from getting in under it as the air is carrying the moisture.

I would check out what the effect of T9 is on any form of plastic before pressing the plastic snugly against the T9 covered surface just in case the plastic degrades and maybe sticks. I am not suggesting it will, I just do not know what it is made from and what impact it may have. Oil based products tend to break down plastics.