Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative to flame polishing

Alternative to flame polishing

Frank and others inspired me to try my hand at flame polishing. Too bad my hand is too burned now to do anything else

The technique of flame polishing takes practice and skill. Since practicing, my skill has gotten worse so I decided to go a different route. I had 10 acrylic signs to make and my time was getting short so found that you can get excellent results with polishing/buffing.

Here are the steps:

Use Cast acrylic and leave paper on as long as possible.

1. When cutting with the laser, make sure the edge lines are as fine as possible with settings. This will save time later.
    2. Depending on the the ridges you have on your acrylic, you may be able to skip using low grit sand paper. Start with 220grit dry and sand the edges making sure to use a lighter touch and smooth motions.
    3. Change to 400grit wet/dry and make sure acrylic and sand paper is wet and wet often. You will notice the edges look hazy (this is normal). Check to make sure there are no engraving lines by drying the edges with a towel/cloth. Make sure all lines are not visible and the entire area has the hazy look. I didn't notice a big difference going to 600 wet then continuing on the process so you can save yourselve the 600 wet.
    4. Depending on the thickness of the acrylic, you can use a buffing wheel or a dremel with a buffing wheel on it.
    5. Using a slower speed and buffing compound for acrylic (blue stick). I used Eazypower Plastic compound (model 81031). Move across the edge of the acrylic. Make sure you have enough compound on the wheel.
    6. Within a few seconds you should start to see the edge clear up. Make sure the speed of the wheel is slow as to not heat up and cause melting to occur. I used a dremel at 15,000rpm.
    7. The difficult part for me about this is knowing how much compound to use and when to change buffing wheels. The dremel ones are cheap so would expect a buffing wheel will work much better.

I found you can use this technique for the surface also. The signs required routing one edge for a slate piece. Once the routing marks were sanded away, the polishing took it to a clear finish that you couldn't tell it was machined.

The first image is just polishing without sanding first. Although the results are not great, for some things it would work fine. The second picture is sanding then polishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good job you made there Bob, I'd already been down that road you've taken, it was hard going though and very time consuming.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

You can buy a micro flame polisher using H + O2 for round about $250. It will pay for itself in no time flat if you go that labour intensive route. (2800 degree clean small flame)
    http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod..._polisher.html

We make thick perspex awards , 1-2" thick , we were polishing edges by succesive papering and then mechanical polishing...(PS the secret is to use a hard straight edge steel to scrape the edges before any sanding) and it was a nightmare.
    We now sand blast the edges of these awards and the result is far more pleasing and about 10x easier.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    You can buy a micro flame polisher using H + O2 for round about $250. It will pay for itself in no time flat if you go that labour intensive route. (2800 degree clean small flame)
    http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod..._polisher.html
    Great price... if you want three of them Anyone want to split an order?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There is a cheaper model with only 1 nozzle and lower gas output for about 2/3rd of the price
    the FP-103A
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I most certainly agree with Rodney regarding it paying for itself, even in time spent alone. The results from smooth finish is far superior and it's made my customers a lot happier with the results.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Dan - I want to get one. Find one more and we are ready to order. I will even front the order and ship accordingly.

Frank - Is that temp the same as yours? For some reason I was thinking yours ran hotter than that.
    Jack

Rodne,

Can you fill us in on the sand blasting technique? When I was looking for other ways to finish the signs, I didn't come across that.

I don't do a lot of acrylic work so polishing using the buffing method worked well. I was not able to get those kind of results with the handheld torch. Having the right kind of equipment for the job is my problem.

Thanks for the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Great price... if you want three of them Anyone want to split an order?
    Dan, I would go in and get one too. Let me know what u find out.
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    Dan - I want to get one. Find one more and we are ready to order. I will even front the order and ship accordingly.
    Jack,

I'm up for it... just let me know my portion, including shipping, and I'll send it along to you. I assume PayPal is acceptable? Maybe we should post a separate thread on this (assuming it doesn't violate the board's TOS)? EDIT: Oops, looks like Mike is interested, so that makes three

Anyone else interested in a flame polisher? This deal beats the $700-$800 units I've seen as being available in the US by a long shot!
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 02-09-2009 at 8:05 PM. Reason: Added Mike to the list :)

I want one too!

Blog Entries
    FYI... the minimum order listed on that particular page is likely negotiable. I searched on this unit further and quickly found a site that listed the min order as 2, followed by this one with a min order of 1:
    http://shgoldensign.manufacturer.glo...e-Polisher.htm

I would be interested in one.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Rodney - Have you done business with these guys and if so, did the transaction go as promised?

Separately, Can anyone tell what tips, if any, come with the unit or what voltage is required?
    Jack

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    Dan,

I think I'd be interested in one also.

Ron Thompson
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0