Thread: Collins Coping foot- It's worth the money.

Collins Coping foot- It's worth the money.

I need to trim my entire townhome and thats a lot of cope cutting of base board. After trying a few by hand with a coping saw I started looking around for something to speed up the process. The coping foot was reccomended so I thought I would give it a try. I could not be happier with it. The picture of the base board is literally my third try using it. I can get a perfect cope cut like that in less then 30 seconds. It has sped up the project tremendously. I am using the suggested blades which are the Bosch T244D.

Forgot to add that the baseboard in the picture is MDF.

The barrel style Jig saw is very comfortable to use with it.

Scott

jig.jpgcope cut.jpg

That is the same setup that I use for trim work. For more detailed mouldings, a Dremel with the correct bit, comes in real handy. Collins also sells the best miter clamps.

It works well, after you've used it a bit. I had trouble at first, but got better at it after doing a few.

Charley

I use one for larger crowns, but still find a coping saw to be a bit faster on smaller mouldings.

I've seen Dave Collins demo many times but I don't cope enough to buy one. I know some day I'll get one but I'm quick enough hand coping for the small amounts I do. I also only have a Bosch 1591 barrel grip jigsaw and that doesn't accept the coping foot so I'd need to get another jigsaw.

As someone else mentioned, the Collins miter clamps are tremendous. They are cheap and worth far more than Dave sells them for. Check them out on his site, they work perfectly for small trim, crown, etc. If you get them, get the pliers. The clamps are small but they put a good amount of push on the right spots. They are just too tough to use without the pliers unless you can crush golf balls with your hands. With the pliers they are very easy to open.