Thread: Powermatic Jointer

Question Powermatic Jointer

I am looking at buying a jointer. I have read many comments on 6" vs 8" ,helical head vs knife, and fit and finished on the various brands out there. I found a Powermatic mod. 60B which has a knife head and is a floor model. I think I am getting a good price $1499.00 and was woundering if I should go ahead and buy it or wait and get the newer model with the helical cutter head. I would appreciate any input/advice you can give me.

Steve others really like the helical head. To me it isn't a deal breaker on a jointer. The best advantage you have there is the fact it is a floor model. With a wedge bed jointer it is a benefit to be able to check the tables for flatness and co planer. Also check that the fence is flat as many are not. The new wedge beds are not my first choice although the old one were. I'm not sure that you can't do better than $1500. There are a lot of options including used. The delta dj20 goes 900-1200 used and I believe is preferable. I think that jointer is overpriced at 1899 and a close call at 1500. Dave

I've got a 13+ yr old 60B. Works great. When I got it, the helical heads weren't in the game yet. Before it cut wood, I replaced the OEM head with one that has quick-change blades [Terminus]. I dunno if it is worth 1500 or not - that's you call - and I've never driven the DJ20, so I can't compare. If I was going to put helical head on only one machine, it would be my planer.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Personally, I would not buy a new machine without the helical head. The helical head is such an improvement in technology that it is worth every cent. To me it is like the old carborateur and points on a car engine versus fuel injection.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

I've had a Powermatic PJ 882 about 6 years now. It is a beast. The strength of this jointer is the combined length of the tables is about 7 ft long. Good Power, dust collection, and the cuts look great. I have no complaints about mine at all. I'll upgrade to the Byrd head at some point but I bought the straight knife version.

As for making suggestions on which jointer to buy I think it depends mainly on what size do you want and what your budget is. If 8" is ok then Grizzly is no doubt the best value and (to me any way) the Powermatic is the best jointer (and cost a lot more).

Just my $.02

Good luck with the purchase.

PHM