Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happen to the Price of Shellac

What happen to the Price of Shellac

I went to my local hardware store to pick up a qt of Zinsser clear Shellac. The price was $16.95 a Quart. I pickup a quart two months ago for under $ 9.00. Did I miss something? I saw that lacquer thinner had a large price increase, DA alcohol is about the same price now it is was last year. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    I went to my local hardware store to pick up a qt of Zinsser clear Shellac. The price was $16.95 a Quart. I pickup a quart two months ago for under $ 9.00. Did I miss something? I saw that lacquer thinner had a large price increase, DA alcohol is about the same price now it is was last year. Tom
    China is buying a huge volume of shellac, that they ended buying up all of it. Even the
    On the meantime, India is having drought, when they can't meet the demand.

We pay $22-25 a quart here in California, so stop complaining about the price.

For the past couple of years, the shellac harvest has been quite small. Supply and demand at work.
    Howie.........

Thanks for the up dates, I don't think shipping to California will be less $6.00 sorry can't help there. Tom

It would make sense to buy in gallon since they coast around $38.

Heck BLO was over $30.00 a gallon yeaterday---- glad a gallon goes a long ways.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post
    We pay $22-25 a quart here in California, so stop complaining about the price.
    Zinsser's Seal Coat did jump to $12.98/qt at Home Depot but I have not seen the $20+ figures. Although Lowe's, at $15.97 for the same exact product (1 block away from each other) is close.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Zinsser's Seal Coat did jump to $12.98/qt at Home Depot but I have not seen the $20+ figures. Although Lowe's, at $15.97 for the same exact product (1 block away from each other) is close.
    $18-20 is what Home Depot charges where I live.
    If I buy it from a paint store in contractor price its around $13

I noticed the same price difference between HD and Lowe's...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

I demo at a lot of different Lowes and have discoverd that prices are not exactly the same from store to store.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hamory View Post
    I demo at a lot of different Lowes and have discovered that prices are not exactly the same from store to store.
    I found this out with Sears several years ago, when I was pricing a Dewalt Miter saw. Basically they price the product to compete with competitors close by. I had 6 local Sears and the price of the Saw ranged from $580 to $630, I was told they had to compete with the local (closer) Lowes, Home Depot etc.

Don't say I didn't warn you.......

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=shellac

B*I*N just about doubled in price overnight back in March.
    What's surprising is that it took so long for the other shellac products to catch up.

I use to do some buying for a retailer. When prices shoot up it is not uncommon for a big difference between retailers at first. In this case I'm sure Lowe's just had to place a new order so you see the price increase first. Next order Home Depot puts in they will go up also.
    Also some retailers lock in a price with a distributor for X amount of time. Our store was selling paint thinner for $4.99 gal when the big guys were $10 gal. But when our contract was up with the distributor. our price jumped too.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Does shellac keep well? Would it be good for someone to stock up?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Flakes store well, indefinitely I think. Once mixed it has a fairly short shelf life. I think the Zinsser products have some additives that help with shelf life, but I don't think you want it more than a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Does shellac keep well? Would it be good for someone to stock up?