Thread: Dust Deputy Set up for quiet operation

Dust Deputy Set up for quiet operation

I wanted to share my quiet dust deputy with you all. This was built to fit under my assembly table. These pictures were taken with the front cover (3/4 MDF) removed so that you can see the design. Power is provided via an iVac automated switch.

With the cover off, my phone’s spl meter app says 97 decibels. My ears would agree. With the cover on it produces 80 decibels. The gray square you see in the motor/blower area is ½” homasote. It is a sound proofing material made of paper fiber. Adding it reduced the noise by 4 decibels.

dd2.jpg

The collection box was some left over countertop material. I put some close cell foam on the bottom side of the lid. The lid is held on with confirmat screws for now. I have some bolts and knobs that I plan to add later.

The vac box is 3/4'” MDF. There’s more weather stripping between the blower housing and the plate that divides the exhaust side from the filter side. To keep the filter in place, I used a bolt and a t-nut attached to the bottom side of the top plate. The inlet is a pvc coupler.

dd1.jpg

If you seal the MDF you will get better sound and suction performance. MDF is really porous, and is used as a spoilboard on CNC machines because you can hold a strong suction through a sheet of 3/4" MDF.

I would have wanted the filter elevated so that the dust that gets through the DD could settle out, or ideally used a bag to capture the fines. Interesting to hear how well it perform long term.

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I had no idea MDF was so porous. Will latex paint seal it sufficently?

The filter sits up slightly due to the way the lip is designed. But I'm not at all worried about the lack of space for the fines to settle. In my old setup, I checked the vac after filling the 5 gallon catch container. The filter had some dust in it, but there was almost nothing in the vac. I got a washable filter so I don't end up releasing all of the dust back into the air when I clean it. I'll update the thread with performace updates in time. For now, I'm just pleased as punch with how quiet it is. It doesn't seem to be any louder than my Festool ETS 125 sander.
    Last edited by Ben Hatcher; 08-24-2011 at 3:17 PM. Reason: tpyo;)