Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying craftsman table saw! HELP!

Thinking about buying craftsman table saw! HELP!

Ok after reading almost all threads with Craftsman, Cman, Crapsman, etc. I feel I still dont know!!!

I am thinking about buying a used Craftsman cabinet saw.

This is the saw.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Table+Saws

Now the saw I am thinking of buying is actually a 5HP and the motor was re-wound recently (Possible cause for alarm??) It also has the cheapest fence that I have ever seen and will need a immidiate Beismyer transplant! Besides that the saw is in overall good condition. Now for something odd. While it is EXACTLY like in the picture, no where on the saw does it saw craftsman. It looks like someone possibly removed the sticker on the front. Dont know..

Here is the kicker... The guy wants 500$ for the saw...

Now I would LOVE to save up and buy a delta contractors or cabinet but we all know how long that can take! What I want to know is peoples opinions about Cman saws. I know there are ALOT of ANTI-CMAN people out there (I am a little cautious myself) but (a big but) is that perhaps the contractors saws being more expensive possibly are better quality?

Thanks alot folks for all the help!
    Last edited by Joe Poyner; 02-22-2005 at 12:27 AM.

The link you posted in NOT a cabinet saw, And if its the one your buying it's not worth $500.00 new or used

What would it be then (sorry for my ignorance) a hybrid? Contractors?

Lightbulb

.... In my opinion I would save my money until you can buy a real saw. Second time around always buys “QUALITY”. First time around always buys something “LESS” . Make your money count and do it right the first time.

.... Good luck .

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poyner
    Ok after reading almost all treads with Craftsman, Cman, Crapsman, etc. I feel I still dont know!!!

This is the saw.

Now the saw I am thinking of buying is actually a 5HP and the motor was re-wound recently (Possible cause for alarm??) It also has the cheapest fence that I have ever seen and will need a immidiate Beismyer transplant! Besides that the saw is in overall good condition. Now for something odd. While it is EXACTLY like in the picture, no where on the saw does it saw craftsman. It looks like someone possibly removed the sticker on the front. Dont know..

Now I would LOVE to save up and buy a delta contractors or cabinet but we all know how long that can take! What I want to know is peoples opinions about Cman saws. I know there are ALOT of ANTI-CMAN people out there (I am a little cautious myself) but (a big but) is that perhaps the contractors saws being more expensive possibly are better quality?

Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 02-22-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Ok after reading almost all treads with Craftsman, Cman, Crapsman, etc. I feel I still dont know!!!

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the 'Creek!

IMHO, by the time you upgrade the fence on that dubious Craftsman saw you will be into the thing for enough money that you'll really wish you bought a better saw, brand new, with a good fence, a warranty, and the like.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Take two asprins, lay down and get over it. In the morning you will feel better and then can start looking for a good saw. Used is often a good route to go if you know enough about saws, or if you have a buddy who does.

Ok after reading almost all threads with Craftsman, Cman, Crapsman, etc. I feel I still dont know!!!

This is the saw.

I'd have to see the saw for myself. But if it is the same one as in the picture, it is not a bad buy for 500 dollars. But this is just my opinion. I have had excellent results from my Craftsman tools. I'm not an advocate --just my personal experience.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

It also has the cheapest fence that I have ever seen and will need a immidiate Beismyer transplant!
    So now you are at $850 for a used craftsman saw with a motor that may or may not work down the line. Save another 150 and get a grizzly 1023SL.

Think about it like this...if it has a cheap fence, imagine what the parts may be like that you CAN"T see

Joe,

First off welcome to the creek!!

Second, sorry that everyone is raining on your parade...

Where do you live?? If it is anywhere near me and you don't buy the saw, let me know I WILL BUY IT! Don't think that you will HAVE to upgrade the fence right away, try it out, if it works use it... then you can upgrade it later. Also, the people who said that you would have $850 in the saw are partially right... Just keep the old fence if you upgrade it. When you go to sell the saw, you will get $500 back out of it, or almost and you will still have the beismer fence to go on your new saw.

I will admit I am biased... almost all of my tools are craftsman. Guess what!??!? They work!!! Sure, they aren't $2500 tools, but I didn't pay near that either.

All in all, decide if you like the saw, if you do, get it. If you don't, let me know and I will buy it

I think that would have been a decent buy last year. However, with the new top of the line Sears hybrid going for 6-700 (on sale) with a commercial Beise fence, I think I would pass.

For the $500 for that saw + the expense of the Bies you would have enough money into it to get the new top of the lineSears hybrid model. It will come with the Bies fence.

Welcome to the Creek. You'll find that the people here are friendly and nice. You will also find that Table saw preferences are very persoonal to some people. Kind of like the old Ford verus Chevy arguments I remember my father and grandfather having. Dad was a Chevy man while grandad was nuttin but Ford. Found memories there.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Just another question.. Since the motor was re-wound recently do you fellas think that is cause for alarm?

I think you fellas are right.. It looks like the sears hybrid is a good saw or perhaps a grizzly (I HATE paying for shipping!) but I still am thinking about it.

Considering I am upgrading from a tabletop model, even craftsman is a improvement!

Keep the coments coming and thanks for the support!

Just another question.. Since the motor was re-wound recently do you fellas think that is cause for alarm?
    As long as it was done by somebody who knows what's what, it's no problem at all. It's like a rebuilt engine in a car.

I think you fellas are right.. It looks like the sears hybrid is a good saw or perhaps a grizzly (I HATE paying for shipping!) but I still am thinking about it.
    I am not one of those who has big name, big price tools in his shop. My most expensive single tool is my Grizzly G0555 14" Ultimate Bandsaw with 6" extension block. It cost me less than $500 last year.

My table saw is a Ridgid contractor model that I bought used for $202.50.

With that said, I would never buy a "hybrid" saw. My impression of them is that they are really just contractor saws prettied up to look like -- but not work like -- cabinet saws.

If I were you I'd do one of two things. If you can swing it right now, buy a cabinet saw -- I'd recommend the Grizz and I'd also remind you that you always pay for shipping, whether it's broken out in the price or not.

If you need a better saw right away and can't afford a cabinet model, look around for a used contractor-type to hold you over. Don't spend more than $200 on it though.

BTW, please put your location into your profile so it displays on your posts. It's just possible that you have a neighbor with an extra saw reading these posts but you'll never know it because we don't know where you are.

Tom
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Joe, I owned a Craftsman for several years. I dumped a bunch into it trying to improve including a Beis fence. By the time I ended up selling it I have $900 into it! I sold it for a decent price and bought a Unisaw. I think that ultimately you will want to upgrade. Money always gets in the way!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

If you've got the budget for that thing, why not get a Griz and have a couple hundred left over for other goodies, like a fancy dinner and roses for LOYL so you don't have to stay too long in the doghouse