Thread: sketch-up question ??

sketch-up question ??

(sorry should have put under discussion)
    I'm designing a computer table and found I am not the brightest kid on the block. Ive imported a part from another file to it, but cant figure out how to un-toggle the part. When I rotate the table, the part rotates in a partial circle to that of the table.
    ----How can I remove this effect / have it move, rotate in unison with the table ?
    Must have spent two hours working this out with no luck.
    Thank you kindly,
    Last edited by raul segura; 08-26-2011 at 1:25 AM.

Select both the table and the part and make both parts one component. They will then move together.

Blog Entries
    If I understand your problem correctly, Marty's solution will work. You can also select both and make them a group, roatate them where you want them and then ungroup (or not).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sorry for the slow response,
    I tried several things along with your suggestions and still didn't get any where. I think it must be the way I created the files in the first place.
    Ill need to look more into creating object and such. Ive been steering blindly with this software, but have found it to be so use-full anyway.
    Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    Try sketchupforwoodworkers.com if you haven't already. Some good tutorials there.

You say "un-toggle" the part and also that the part rotates and the table doesn't.

To un-select a part, click on the pointer icon in the toolbar and then click in a blank space on the screen. That will deselect the currently selected part.

It also sounds like you may have the "rotate part" and the "rotate view" icons confused. One will rotate the currently selected part and the other will rotate the entire view of all parts.

If you go here, SketchUp has a "Toolbar Series" of videos that show how to use every one of the controls in the toolbars. Very helpful in learning the basics as well as the fact that there are some control keys that can be used with the basic tools to allow more functionality.

YES THAT'S IT, "rotate view". THIS IS MY APPROACH .... FILE / IMPORT / OPEN / ..... THE NEW FILE PART, ROTATES SEPARATE FROM ORIGINAL, BUT IN THE SAME PLANE.

OK.... I JUST CLICKED ON COMPONENTS THEN DRAGGED PART FROM THE LIST AND IT IS WORKING (DIDN'T KNOW I COULD DRAG FROM THIS BOX) PARTS ARE NOW IN SINK WITH THE MAIN DRAWING.

EXCELLENT !! THANK YOU JIM AND THOMAS I JUST BOOKMARKED BOTH THE TUTORIALS. ILL HAVE TO STUDY UP, FEEL LIKE A DAD THAT CANT PUT A BICYCLE TOGETHER CAUSE I DIDN'T READ DIRECTIONS !