Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate being retired....

I hate being retired....

Bah!

When's the fun and "Golden years" stuff start?
    Did I nap through the dancing girls and keg tapping?
    When can I sleep in?
    It's 6:04am right now, and I've been up for over two hours - looking forward to another exciting day of - retirement...

I guess I could always just "putter around" in the yard...that sounds like as much fun as giving myself a root canal w/my new Bosch hammer drill.

Bah!!!!
    I thought this would be like an extended vacation.
    What it's more like, is, I said or did something inappropriate @ work and got suspended w/out pay.
    (& w/out the enjoyment of actually having said or done the deed )

I feel like a kid on a playground that no one wants on their ball team....

Rich,

I am surprised to hear that. Most of the retired people I know are more busy then when they were working.

Give it some time Rich. LOL. If you're really bored you can come on down to GA and play on my ball team . . . I'm completely covered up with with down here.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

GA.... yummmmm Vidalia's,,,,,,
    That sure does tempt this Yankee boy ma'm!

Blog Entries
    Rich,

It's 10 years or so away for me but I think I'm going to love it.

Take better care of the house. Maybe travel a little. Plan to mainly fill the void from work with the shop. Thats my plan anyway.

I'm sure you'll get this figured out soon.

PHM

Wekk I've been retired for 10 years now and I still wonder when I ever had time for work. Just hang in there, it gets better and better!

Rich, it took me about a year to adjust; during that time I did a lot of volunteer work helping others, and then I started becoming more focused on my farm projects and building a new business.

For many people, their main focus in life becomes their career. When that is taken away, the sense of purpose is affected and this can and does have negative consequences (mainly health) if not addressed. The best thing that you can do is ask yourself what you want to accomplish during the rest of your life, and then start doing it. If you don't know about thre rest of your life, then ask yourself what you want to accomplish for the rest of the week, the rest of the month, the rest of the year, etc. Set goals and then move forward on achieving them.

There's a great line in the movie The Shawshank Redemption: "Get busy living, or get busy dying".

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    GA.... yummmmm Vidalia's,,,,,,
    That sure does tempt this Yankee boy ma'm!
    Come on down, we're only an hour and a half away from Vidalia . . .

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I don't know how long you have been retired Rich....

I retired Dec. 1 2007. Honestly I felt lost the first year, I had spend over 3 decades supporting other employees. It was a 24/7 ordeal that I looked forward to getting away from.
    Then starting Dec. 2, BAM! No one called for my help and the sudden feeling that I was no longer needed really hit me. I basically didn't do anything until Oct. 2008, nothing.

Then my wonderful wife told me I needed a larger new shop! That started to get my motivation going and take my mind away from my 'lost' feeling. Over the next few months I grew to accept being retired, now it's just wonderful.

If you recently retired, give it time. I started paying Social Security at the age of 13 and was never without a job for more than 2 weeks and just 3 times. I retired at 62. Working for 49 years out of 62, then suddenly knowing that it's all over is shocking whether we realize/accept it or not.

Enjoy your time, keep your mind busy.

Ken

Was it yesterday you retired Rich or the day before? Give it some time. I was forced into retirment 6 months ago because I woke up deaf 7/7/2010. Worrying about how we could or would handle the financials of being forced into retirement before I was ready, kept me pretty depressed last fall. Then in February, I had no choice. By the end of March, the financial status had shaken out and I started getting a new life. And now I am expanding that new life and enjoying it. Once I get a cochlear implant, I will expand my life some more and begin doing some volunteer work in the community.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Trade ya. I hear some retirees talk of not having enough time to get things done and others saying there is nothing to do. I have a to-do list that would last a good couple of years. I tend to plan my time even on weekends. If I ever find myself staring into space, I just look at the plan (list, post-it note, whatever) and it steers me back on track. Most of us need to be productive to feel good about our life. The challenge is to be self-motivating to accomplish our goals. I too have those days when i don't seem to get anything done. On those dys I take 2 minutes to jot down what I did do. Once I see what I did accomplish, I feel better ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Was it yesterday you retired Rich or the day before? Give
    LOL!
    Close - it was last Friday.
    Seems like it's been a year and a half though!

I did mange to start someting last night!
    The bad news is that it was an argument...:O
    LOL!

In the shop though, I managed to finish the potato bin my wife had wanted for a few years.
    I'm just putting the finishing touches on a carry/storage box for the track saw rails.
    I organized one section of the garage too.

On the personal side - I've dropped probably close to 15 pounds in the last two weeks. That's pretty normal for me to drop that much in a short time by cutting out the "binges", the soft drinks, the snacks and the huge dinners right before bed.
    After skipping breakfast ad lunch for the last 45 years, I've also been eating both meals.
    A swiss cheese sandwich for breakfast, and a peanut butter one for lunch.

On the down side - my coffee intake has soared. I'm swilling ~ 8 cups a day of that stuff.
    My goal is to be coffee free by the end of 2011.
    I'm also walking every morning.
    I started two weeks ago - a week before my sentance,,err,,retirement day.
    I was in such terrible shape I got winded walking to the mailbox (about 100 feet) and back.
    Now I'm up to making it about 3 steps away from the top of the hill on the next street over. I could have made those last few steps this am, but, I wanted to stick w/"the plan". "The plan" calls for me doing that hill at the end of the 2nd week - which is tomorrow.

I started becoming more focused on my farm projects and building a new business.
    That's what I'm talkin 'bout!!! Building a new business sounds like a great idea! I had some plans in teh works for that, but, the real estate market tanking put those on hold.

Working for 49 years out of 62, then suddenly knowing that it's all over is shocking whether we realize/accept it or not.
    Amen brother! I'm 59 1/2 and had nearly 53 years of drawing a paycheck. Not having one - or any real concrete prospects for drawing one - is a nasty, nasty experience.

Give it some time Rich. I retired in December. I was a little lost for 3-4 weeks before I got into a relaxed routine, I’m loving it now! What I really love is no longer having deadlines – if I don’t finish up what I had planed for today, there’s always tomorrow!
    The only thing I miss about working is my coworker friends. We still get together once or twice a month for lunch.
    I’m looking forward to cooler weather so I can spend more time in the shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Amen brother! I'm 59 1/2 and had nearly 53 years of drawing a paycheck. Not having one - or any real concrete prospects for drawing one - is a nasty, nasty experience.
    You're right. I always laugh when I hear some politician saying that people will have to work longer, and not retire so early. Many of us would love to work longer. But just try to get hired when you're about 60, and especially in this economic climate.

For that matter, just try to get hired when you're a bit over 50 and see how far you get.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-26-2011 at 1:21 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Maybe a road trip should be in the offing. I bet you could travel the entire U.S. and not spend a single night in a motel. Just Creeker to Creeker. Just imagine all the nice people and great shops you'd get to see.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution