Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate being retired....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    You're right. I always laugh when I hear some politician saying that people will have to work longer, and not retire so early. Many of us would love to work longer. But just try to get hired when you're about 60, and especially in this economic climate.

For that matter, just try to get hired when you're a bit over 50 and see how far you get.

Mike
    Amen.....I have a brother in his mid-50s...engineering degree.....looking for work......the last 3 jobs.....RIFed as the new hire.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have been retired a little longer than two years now and ran into the same thing in the first year. I think that one needs to do some planning before they retire. Everyone knows that they need to do some financial planning but most do not think about the "what am I going to do after I retire planning". I think that the first winter after I retired was the most difficult.

I honestly have had to put some effort into what I want to do and then make it happen. I find that making a list as things come to mind helps me. It is just not as easy as one thinks. I have been very fotunate as I had been asked to come back to work as a consultant part time and that has eased the transition.

I know how you can feel like you accomplished something great today. Post 2 more times and then you will have 2,000 posts. You can celebrate with a victory dance.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Amen.....I have a brother in his mid-50s...engineering degree.....looking for work......the last 3 jobs.....RIFed as the new hire.....
    Quite so. And this is true even for folks with PhDs in highly technical fields with a "shortage" of trained prospective employees. It will take federal law intervention in the hiring process to bring about a change Specifically that would require banning the use of "degree and year graduated" on a job application or resume, and banning the review of credit/financial information, which makes the age of the applicant clear.

It's a reasonably noble purpose, but such an intervention would be frought with difficulties. I often wonder if that's partly why 60% of the economic activity in the US is businesses with less than 25 employees.

At 68 I get SS and medicare. I still work; when work is available (my business slowed down dramatically this year) but there aren't enough hours in the day. Even without working for pay I have too much to do. If you get retirement pay, get over your doldrums. Many don't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    At 68 I get SS and medicare. I still work; when work is available (my business slowed down dramatically this year) but there aren't enough hours in the day. Even without working for pay I have too much to do. If you get retirement pay, get over your doldrums. Many don't have that.
    68?
    You don't look a day over 40.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    68? You don't look a day over 40.
    When that picture was taken I was 51. I will still take that as a compliment. :-). The only real change since then is gray in the beard and hair and some crepey skin.
    Last edited by David Helm; 08-29-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Add more info

Blog Entries
    I am retired and have more to do than I can handle.

Yesterday I swept the chimney in getting ready for winter and while on the roof took care of some moss and the gutters. Need to go cut and split some firewood.

Also working on cabinets in the shop.

If you need extra income, make things to sell. If you do not need the money, make things to give away.

Now I'm up to making it about 3 steps away from the top of the hill on the next street over. I could have made those last few steps this am, but, I wanted to stick w/"the plan". "The plan" calls for me doing that hill at the end of the 2nd week - which is tomorrow.
    For me this is another issue. There are very few plans that I make that I will hold up if the goal might be attained earlier than planned.

If you need something to keep you busy, get some chickens and sell eggs. Watching the chickens is more fun than watching TV.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I retired 2 1/2 years ago. It took me about one day to adjust. I woke up the next day, smiled and went back to sleep. I'm busier now than when I worked. The best thing about retirement is I now get to spend a lot of time in the shop and I can spend a lot of time with the grand daughters. I missed a lot with my kids because I worked 2nd shift. and told myself I'm not miss the grand kids growing up. Actually I don't have tome to work anymore.

Retirement is the best job I've ever had.
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

Rich,
    I retired a year ago...today in fact. I went from a crazy 24/7 availability job...in/for the Navy...to retirement in an instant. ALL the people who knew me insisted...based on my A personality... I would be coming back to work in some form within a month...when in fact..with the exception of the great people I was blessed to work with...I haven't missed it one little bit. For the first time in my life I can do what I pretty much WANT to do...when I want to do it. I think after almost 40 years of flat out...I was more than ready to back off and do the things I never had time to do...and I LOVE it! I think the trick for me was being ready to retire....and having things to do that make me look forward to everyday. I have lost 35 lbs...walk more than 5 miles a day with my camera...and actually have time to do all the other things that goes along with being a stay at home house husband.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 08-31-2011 at 7:03 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Maybe a road trip should be in the offing. I bet you could travel the entire U.S. and not spend a single night in a motel. Just Creeker to Creeker. Just imagine all the nice people and great shops you'd get to see.
    I'm not retired - still have a few years to go (uh huh - sure - like that will happen the way the economy is going), but Steve's idea sounds really cool.

As a higher level management person in a fortune 500 company prior to retirement I missed the respect and the feeling of being important. Then I got over myself and learned to enjoy the little things in life. One thing I did do was to have my wife start a honey do list rather than continually being after me to do certain things she wanted done. This worked much better and I just work down the list as I have time. After the first year went by I have really enjoyed being retired. I honed my skills as a photographer and became quite professional. I also resurected my hobby as a woodworker and spend time using it to good advantage.Retirement will grow on you if you will just expand those things you like to do as well as giving some of your time in helping others. Read a good book, subscribe to Netflix, go back to school and take a few classes that you like, court your wife and do nice things for others. Life is great!
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 08-31-2011 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Typo
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Please consider getting involved with civic organizations or volunteer work.
    I have been president of a local civic organization for many years and all over I hear the same thing, "we need new members!".
    There is more need than ever during these tough economic times to help those in your community.
    Dave

When's the fun and "Golden years" stuff start?
    It starts when you make it start.

You sound like a whiner, Rich.
    Get off your arse. Go for walks to learn your neighborhood.
    Got a bicycle? No? Get one.
    Join the Senior Center.

I've been retired 7+ years now. I stay active. I am very involved in the senior center. I go for walks.
    I don't whine.

Last edited by Myk Rian; 09-01-2011 at 7:53 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I loved retirement from the moment it started. Let's see, I do some woodworking, (duh), dabble in photography, waterski a bit, ride my bike a bit, work on the Jeep and other cars, keep my boat running, active at church, read a bit, love my morning online comics, spend time on at least 4 forums, love my TV, do yardwork and on and on...

Did I mention the RV and snowmobiling?

You gotta find some hobbies man.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-01-2011 at 1:50 PM.