Thread: LF/ Powermatic Yellow Spray Can Paint/ 1990 to 1995 Color/

LF/ Powermatic Yellow Spray Can Paint/ 1990 to 1995 Color/

I am looking for a source were I can purchase cans of spray paint that would match a 1992 PM66. You can buy directed from PM but it is the new color not there original yellow paint from there 1990 /1950 series colors. Does anyone know of a brand or color that match the PM66 of that time frame that can be purchased locally that is similar in color.?

Thanks Richard

--------------------
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Go to OWWM.com and look under the WIKI page and there is info regarding PM colors. If the formula is there you can take it to Sherwin Williams, the auto paint branch and not the house paint one, if one is located near you and they can mix it and put it in spray cans. It costs around 20 bucks a can unfortunatly.

Don, thanks for the info. From my past experience with the custom spray cans they don’t spray very well. In fact I just used some custom color cans at work to spray a heater housing. (Sherwin Williams Home?)The problem is the spray heads don’t fan out like regular spray cans and you can’t get a good blend. Are there any stock colors (off the shelf) from standard paint companies that match closely?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

That info should also be on owwm.com. that's what that crowd does - restore old machines.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Rich, I concur with the spray cans. I am painting my 72 OM 66 with a silightly darker green and went through 2 cans like nothing. I heard the gravity feed sprayers can be used with a small compressor which I have. I think the cost of the sprayer and paint will be less than if I try it with cans.

Let us know how you make out. No reason why you can't use a different color unless you want the authentic look. My colors are a darker metallic green with black around the saw top and the Bies black with black stripes to replace the white ones. It should look pretty sharp, I hope.

Don

I have had luck going to an auto refinisher supply and color matching the color by bring part of the equipment in, tailstock or whatever,
    and then the put it into spray cans for me worked good
    Carpe Lignum

Richard,

Below are two possible candidates for a match of Powermatic's Metallic Gold 1, which was used from 1982 to 1993. The information is from postings on Vintagemachinery.org (old OWWM.com).

Rustoleum 7275, Metallic Burnished Brass

The paint match which I found on another post was the yellow for pm up until '95. This match is the came as Sovereign Gold Metallic for a 1977 Cadillac. I bought some to spray my '95 PM 66 5Hp 3 PH with. Have not done it yet but the paint test chip on the lid of the can looks like a near perfect if not perfect match. I bought mine from an auto paint shop (PPG). I just found a site called paintscratch.com where you can buy an amount from paint pen, spray can, pt, Qt, Gal of this paint depend on how much you need.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the tip I called HD and they have the Rustoleum 7275, Metallic Burnished Brass so I am going to go look to see what it looks like. $5.00 a can I was qoted.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Bill I went to looked at the color match for the Metallic Burnished Brass spray cans and took my saw base cover in. It is a very good match as far as I am concerned. They were out of stock but did have sample pads. I did order a few cans to repaint my saw. Thanks for your help it saved me a lot of grief.
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard,

I am glad to hear that my information was helpful. Isn't it amazing what you can find on the internet?

Bill

My automotive paint supplier will mix any color single-stage automotive paint and put it in an excellent spray can for $12. That's half what they'll sell a pint for, and sure it's $8 more than off the shelf, but what's the wrong color worth?