Thread: Need Help Choosing CNC - Laguna, Shopbot, Techno, Kelling, etc?????

Need Help Choosing CNC - Laguna, Shopbot, Techno, Kelling, etc?????

I'm looking for a machine to cut hardwood (1"thick) parts up to about 42" long. I've checked out ShopBot, Techno, Kellig, Multicam, ShopSabre, etc. I keep coming back to the Laguna since it seems like the best value for the money. For about $11k, I get a 2hp spindle, 4'x4' table, ball screw, etc. I can't seem to match that with anyone else. I like Techno since they are local, but again it's more money. Anyone have experience with the Laguna Swift? Any other recommendations? Much thanks.

i have the camaster machines, with wincnc indutrial controller and heavy online forum support, it is top competitor in this market, the support forum is linked on the main website, feel free to visit

the performance and quality is well documented on this forum

jim mcgrew
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-31-2011 at 9:41 PM.

Guessing there are very few people at Laguna to support you after the sale. I know they have a few machine salesman but ask them any technical questions or ask them how they replace a difficult part and you will see what I mean. Plus tehy sell a boat load of different machines and are probably just distro guys at heart. If you are going to self support your machine you should probably learn to build it yourself and know the parts in and out yourself so you can fix it if it breaks. China, the mfg country of most of the latest Laguna machines will not be there for you either I am guessing. Not knowing the details on the controller, steppers, and how well you can adjust everything is a real concern for me.

If you are going to buy a machine and want or need support, not going with shopbot or cammaster is probably a bad idea. The guys selling those machines are many times folks who helped build them at one time or another.

DO NOT BUY A CNC BASED ON PRICE is my advice.

If you are concerned about price build it yourself so you know it is done right or save your money until you can afford the size you want in a reputable machine. If you cannot wait and you think you have the paying work finance it.

Know the software you will use with your machine as well.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I personally would recommend the Techno, it is a really easy to learn machine, and the tech support is really good. I also like the way the vacuum table is designed it is very flexible for different sized work. I have moved onto a larger machine, and realized how easy the techno is to learn and operate after making the transisition.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6