Thread: Help with a garage door where concrete is not level

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help with a garage door where concrete is not level

I'm posting this in the Workshops forum since I know a lot of SMC'ers have their shop in their garage - I however am going to be in the basement.

I recently moved into a new home, and one of the things the pest inspector (and home inspector) noted was that the rubber seal at the bottom of the garage door was chewed away by mice. After further inspection, I've found out that the concrete is cracked likely due to some settlement. This has caused the concrete to not be parallel with the door in a couple places, for instance in the far corner of the picture the concrete is low meaning there is a gap between the door and the concrete of about 1". There is also one in the foreground of the pictures but a max of 1/2".

I've got 3 ideas on how to proceed:

1) The weatherstripping on the bottom of the door is only a piece of rubber and doesn't make up any gap or anything really. I've seen a couple aluminum extrusions with rubber that will make up 5/8". I'm not sure if that's enough though.

2) shim the bottom of the door (made of wood) to make it match the existing concrete.

3) Use Ardex K 301 (exterior concrete leveling compound) to level it all out. bring up the far corner of the picture. This would end up costing around $75. Might be too much to spend.

Which option would you recommend? Any other suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images