Thread: Cedar Planks - Band Saw Blade Recommendation

Cedar Planks - Band Saw Blade Recommendation

I recently had to cut down a cedar tree and rather than burn the wood (its not really big enough to use for lumber), I am planning to make cedar planks for grilling (I'll probably wind up with a life time supply). What is the recommended band saw blade for this type work? I think the widest blade my saw can take is 3/4". I think I need a very aggressive blade but the only work I've done on my saw so far has been fine woodworking so I don't really know what to use for this kind of rough service. TIA.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dennis, I typically use a 2 - 3 TPI band (1" wide) on my 16" horizontal resaw. What size bandsaw do you have and what width planks are you planning to saw?

Hi Dennis,I would use a 1 tooth per inch blade for green cedar.I'm sure you already know the thinner the wood gets the more teeth per inch.When it gets dryer.Dont cut i all up its nice to have some around for fence repairs and outside stuff.Is it red cedar?

Thanks for the reply. I have a small band saw so the widest I can make is about 5" (max height of my guide) and the thickness will be ~3/4" (recommended by grilling experts). The blade is 105" and I'm not sure it will take a 1" blade (never worked with anything that big). In any case I think you are recommending the the widest blade I can fit with 2-3 TPI. Isn't there also a tooth type specification for most blades (hook, gulleted, raker, etc.)?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks for the reply. One tooth per inch is pretty heavy duty, as I explained to Scott the thickness will be about 3/4". I think the cedar is moderately green, maybe 3 months of outdoor seasoning. It is red cedar but I don't really have anything that is made of cedar so I doubt there would be much occasion to use it. However, if I make enough of the planks I can see possibly using them to line a chest some day but the size planks I would use for grilling are a decent size for that as well (since they would have to be planed to uniform size) so I don't see any reason to reserve any.

I'd recommend a Timberwolf 1/2", 3 TPI AS (alternate set) blade.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Where are you located? Cedar grilling planks are Western Red Cedar. I don't think you will like the strong flavor of Eastern Read (aromatic) Cedar.

I thought the same thing but tried it anyway (I'm in GA). Also, when we cut this tree it didn't seem to be as aromatic as I had expected. I am a BBQ judge (KCBS) and my son is a cooker so perhaps I (we) are used to strong smoke flavor but the shark steaks we used as a trial had just the right amount. That is why I decided to gear up to make a bunch of planks. I don't know what it will be like if we try something that takes longer to grill than fish but at least for that it is good.

I resaw a lot of eastern red cedar and I use a 1/2" blade from "woodslicer" I usually am resawing 1" x 8" to 1/4" x 8"
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214