Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning related stuff to do in Hawaii (Oahu)

Turning related stuff to do in Hawaii (Oahu)

I have to go to the island of Oahu for work and I'm looking for any turning related stuff I might do with a couple of nights off and 1/2 of a day. I think I've found the local AAW chapter and they are meeting one of the nights I am there. Anybody know anything else to do? I'll have a half empty suitcase so a local wood supplier would be really nice to find. Any Creekers that want a visit? I promise to show up with wood in hand .

Thanks all.
    Paul

Honolulu Woodturners. Next meeting 9/13 6 PM.

Thanks Kyle. Do you know if they do a wood swap or anything like that? I'll have some room in my bags heading out there to bring some wood to share.

Paul

I'm not sure where the Dunn gallery is located in Hawaii, but it might be worth a look. The are several wood sellers on eBay from the islands... It might be worth sending a few of them an email.

Ron Kent is located in Hawaii. His work is very impressive and he seems like a very nice guy. I posted a question on his website a few years ago about his dishwashing detergent method. Not only did he email a reply, but followed up with a phone call. We talked for about 1/2 hour about turning. He appears to be very down to earth and humble. May be worth an email to see if you could visit his shop.
    http://www.ronkent.com/
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Last winter we were on Maui. We drove to Hana one day and there is a very nice, upscale gallery there, but even with that, the lady that runs it is very nice. Anyway she had 3 or 4 Ron Kent bowls in a display case and she was kind enough to get them out so I could hold them an examine them closer, even though she knew I was not in the market for them. They were priced in the 4 figures. She also had some other very nice one off furniture, etc there. Jared

If you take a block of wood over there, make sure its debarked and sealed up good. The authorities don't take kindly to the import of bugs or non-native seeds onto the islands. Fyi.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

PM sent

Kyle

You should check out flat rate USPS boxes also. That is the cheapest rate, and the box will almost beat you home. It is cheaper to ship by mail than pay the overweight charge - don't ask how I know. The cost of an extra suitcase should also be checked out as comparison. New airline rules change so fast you will need to check your airline. I have found a lot of nice wood there. Dunn Gallery is up on the NW end of the Big Island and well worth a visit as are several other galleries ans shops selling the local artists work.

Scott, thanks for the reminder.

Thomas, I am able to check up to 3 bags, 70 lbs each, without incurring any costs. Two is about my limit for dealing with. I had to laugh about USPS getting home quicker than I will. I hate the return trip.

If you get any access for Mango GET SOME! I received a mango crotch piece in a wood trade from a fellow creeker and it turned like butter, didn't move at all after drying and looks unreal! I would take a dump truck of that stuff! Also, although it can ba a bit harder to get, try to snag some Koa. That wood is so warm and rich looking. I got a smaller piece of that in my trade and it is beautiful.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I haven't actually spent any time looking for wood while on Oahu. But on the Big Island I found several roadside sellers of coffee, macadamia nuts, etc that also happened to to have wood blanks for sale. I was on Kauai this spring and got skunked when looking for wood to bring home. So I have to say that it's kind of a hit and miss thing. There is so much wood in a tropical place like Hawaii you would think it would be easy to buy. My best luck was small roadside spots that have wood probably from maintaining their own farms and orchards. I'm sure that if you can connect with some local turners, they will get you into more wood than will fit on the plane.

I just remembered Chris Allen from Koa Wood Hawaii... I've bought wood from him in the past, and he's got quite a selection including lots and lots of koa!

Paul,

Try to get a piece (or more) of Norfolk Island Pine. As someone else said, you have to debark it, but that is usually easy. The NIP in HI seems to be different, and getting fresh, you should be able to turn thin and make translucent. O'hia, Kou, Lychee, and the list goes on in addition to the Koa and Mango. Macadamia Nut is also an interesting wood, but watch out for the checks, especially if it is not fully dried. I missed my trip this spring to the Big Island and I miss buying more wood, even though I am in the process of packing some that has been 10 years in my shop.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I should be able to stay busy during my non-work time.

Paul