Thread: Lurker out of the closet

Lurker out of the closet

I occasionally poke my nose in here to see what you guys are up to, but have never posted anything. I just posted a blanket chest I completed for my daughters wedding this weekend, and decided to post my latest turning projects while I'm here. These are pieces I made for the Beauty and Beast competition on Woodturners America.
    The beast, If You Dare, is part of my Fibonacci series, and has 13 spirals in one direction and 21 in the opposite. It is 7"h x 5"d. Maple with turned and bleached birch needles. Finish is mineral oil and carnuba on the interior and acrylics and fixatiff on the exterior.

Dare1.jpgDare2.jpgDare3.jpg

The beauty, Diatom III, is the latest in my diatom series. It is based on scanning electron micrographs of diatoms. This one is 6"h x 4.5" diameter and is maple with acrylics and fixatiff finish.

diatom2.jpgdiatom.jpg

All comments/critiques welcome

Mike

Mike, very nice, i really like If You Dare, good combination of elements

Mike the cactus is incredible! I had to blow the picture up to even see the junction between the top and bottom. Both are nice but the cactus is just plain cool.

Those are just exceptional pieces. Love the cactus.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Outstanding pieces. With turnings like this, please keep posting them. Did you put a mechanical catch in the cactus box?

Everyone ends up here.... eventually. That cactus box is wicked looking. Most people are not going to realize that it opens because they will not dare to touch it and the seam is almost invisible anyway!
    David DeCristoforo

Mike - glad you decided to start posting! Been a big fan of your work for quite a while! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow, what fantastic pieces! Good luck in the competition, but it looks like some winners to me.
    God is great and life is good!

Excellent pieces Mike! The cactus looks absolutely lifelike (and not something that wants to be held and caressed! lol). Don't know where you get the patience for such intricate work, but I wish you'd send some my way!
    Good luck in the contest!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Mike, you do some phenomenal work, and you must have the patience of Job!! Intricate just isn't a bold enough word to describe these pieces.

And, for those of you that would care to see some more of Mike's work - here is his website.

Welcome, Mike! I love your work, so I hope we'll be seeing a bit more of it around here!

Thanks all. Gee, who knew so many of the guys on the Woodturners America forums hang out here too. I didn't realize Steve is a moderator here. John, thanks for posting my website link. Not sure how you knew about that, but it's cool. Thanks!

Mike,
    Those are some incredible pieces. I also checked out your website and was very impressed! Your work is beautiful and lots of great info....
    Welcome!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?