Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF for Epilepsy Foundation Auction

HF for Epilepsy Foundation Auction

I was honored a few weeks ago by Robin Costelle when he asked me to join a group of turners that were creating pieces specifically for an upcoming Epilepsy Foundation auction. I like a challenge as much as the next guy but nothing makes you pay attention to detail more than when you know some of the turners you look up to are going to be checking out your work!

This beautiful piece of Upper Peninsula Curly Maple was sanded to 1200 and dyed one time only with a mix of RIT that gave it a slight aqua tint. Because of the 1200 grit - very little of the dye was absorbed - which is the effect I was after. Colors vary from yellow, green, teal, blue and clear maple... so depending on which angle you are viewing the piece from - the predominate color changes. The acrylic finial was turned, buffed and then sanded to create frosted facets on an otherwise clear material. The piece is 4.75" in diameter x 4.25" high to the top of finial and is very light weight. Finish is multiple coats of gloss wipe-on-poly, buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

Robin, I hope this will help raise some funds!

HF for Auction v1.jpg HF for Auction v2.jpg HF for Auction v3.jpg
    HF for Auction v4.jpg HF for Auction v5.jpg HF for Auction v6.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice work Steve. I like the variation in color and how its NOT overpowering. That effect really works with the special finial.

I sure hope Robin takes a group photo before the auction. Its going to be a great collection.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Beautiful piece Steve. Good luck Steve and I hope it raises a lot.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice -I hope it raises a lot of money for this worthy cause.

Steve,

It is an honor to be chosen and generous of you to step up to the plate with your time for a good cause. Lovely piece as well.

Jon

Outstanding piece Steve. Love the subtle colors and that finial is an original "icing on the cake". I know you felt honored to be asked to donate your time and effort and I'm willing to bet the foundation is honored to receive your efforts. Hope it makes a ton of dough for them.

very nice, the donation will be appreciated

This is super nice Steve, I love the form and finial, the color is snazzy too. I hope it brings some good money for the foundation. It is certainly one to be proud of!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Steve, I will have to admit - you guys in the UP certainly have some nice maple!! Must be the "lake effect"!! Great job on the color for this one - lot of subtle variations, and the finial is a very nice touch. So different than most - and, that is what makes it special. Good contrast in form, texture and color.

I actually think this form, and the color, are one of the best you have done. It has perfect "lift" at the opening and such nice, soft lines.

very cool finial It oughta raise BIG MONEY....

A great piece for a great cause.

Alan

Beautiful piece Steve. I like the subtleness of the coloring, there's something about it that reminds me of an animals' coat too...which is cool. I didn't realize how the sanding affects the penetration of the dye, but it makes sense...I'll have to store that for later.
    Wonderful cause and we all hope it brings lots of cash to the foundation. I'm sure the lucky winner of the auction will love this piece.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Very, very nice Steve! I love the finial.

Wow, that is really beautiful! I know it's gonna do very well and will be greatly appreciated!

Great color in that maple and the frosted finial really tops it off! I am sure it will do well!