Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13" Planer

13" Planer

Which 13" Planer should I buy for $500 or less?
    Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

Smile Which 13" Planer

Ken,

Personally I like my Ridgid 13". As long as you don't make the cut excessive the finish is very good and virtually never get any snipe. I've heard good about the newer Delta's and the Dewalt's. My dad has a Delta and I can tell you that my Ridgid totally outperforms it.

Larry

Delta 22-580.

Maurice

For the price of the DeWalt 735 you are almost in the range of a stationary. The Delta 22-580 gets good reviews. So does the Ridgid TP1300. I have the Ridgid.

~ Fred

I've heard some pretty bad reviews of the 735. Anyone heard about problems with drive sprockets? I've read at least 2 different reviews in which they broke (Then broke AGAIN after being replaced)

Also, they say the blade situation is pretty pathetic and the way the housings are designed won't allow a thicker blade.

Anyway, this info is taken from a couple of reviews on Amazon (2 VERY SIMILAR reviews). Maybe it's a guy and his cousin trying to smear DeWalt...
    Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

I have the delta 13" and I am happy with it.

Stefan

Tool review

I just got my April 2005 issue of woodworkers journal. On page 66, under Tool review is a review on bench top planers.

John
    Last edited by John Gregory; 02-23-2005 at 3:55 PM. Reason: Senior moment. forgot magazine name

Post My Choice: Dewalt DW735

I have been actively considering this choice for the past week and have finally decided on the Dewalt DW735. My consideration was between the Dewalt DS735 and the Ridgid TS1300LS.

If you ignore the rest of what I have to say, just read this article. It is a popular woodworking Feb 2004 review of a handful of 13" Planers.

<DISCLAIMER>
    FIRST, let me note that I have no bias either direction here. In fact, if anything, I would have leaned toward the Ridgid planer as I am a major supporter and enjoyer of their tools.

I have a Ridgid Table Saw, Bandsaw, Oscillating Spindle Sander, Random Orbital Sander, 1/4 Sheet Sander, and Circular Saw. I am about to buy the Drill Press. On average, I believe the make great tools for the Ridgid woodworker who wants something that will do quality work, but can not afford to graduate up to the level of cabinet saws, stationary planers, etc.

SECOND, let me note that I take all reviews about tools I buy very seriously. After all, who wants to throw money in a hole. Therefore, my conclustions have been come to after MUCH careful consideration.
    </DISCLAIMER>

Now, on to the tools.

Both of the above planers have many great reviews all over the internet. That includes both individuals (epinions, amazon.com, etc) and woodworking sites, magazines, etc.

Both of the above planers have naysayers on the internet - though only in the form of individuals, no complaints from magazines, etc.

In general, the complaints about the Dewalt planer is as follows:

A. The knives dull extremely quickly. This complaint can be found in multiple places. However, there are just as many people, if not more, who claim to have gotten an excellent lifetime out of the knives. One poster, either on this website or the Ridgid BB (which are suprisingly uncensored) commented that he believed any problems with blades wearing to fast was likely related to tool misuse - probably attempting to take off too much at a time. Others agreed and I decided that was a very likely explanation, especially considering all of the postive blade notes from others.

B. The sprocket problem. For this one, I don't have much of an explanation. All I can say is that the people who had this problem, had it very immediately and, actually, repeatedly. I have a couple of theories.
    1. One poster somewhere commented that he had a Dewalt service center nearby that he regularly visited for tool tuneups, accessories, or something like that. When he was planning the purchase of a DW735, they told him to bring it in after purchasing so that they could oil the gears. They did theis as a free service because, according to the Dewalt Service Center reps, there was a problem at the factory. An initial oiling was claimed to resolve this problem and avoid other problems down the road. Maybe this is related to the sprocket problem.
    2. While there are a handful of folks that have these sprocket problems, the majority of people report NOT having these issues. Furthermore, the folks that have them, often have them repeatedly. These factors lead me to believe that the real problem is not with the sprockets, but rather with either something else in the machine, or with the operator of the machine.
    Generally speaking, I just don't buy it. If there was REALLY serious problems with this machine (or even less obvious, but annoying regular maintenance problems), I would expect to see a bigger pattern in internet reviews. However, that is just not the case.

I can't answer whether the machine or operator is too blame for the sprocket problem. However, given the sporadic and repeated nature of the problem, I lean towards operator error.

In general, the complaints about the Dewalt planer is as follows:

Er. sorry, I don't remember. There were some people, I believe, who reported complaints about aligning knives or about mechanic problems. Again, however, the majority of the reports were very positive.

First Conclusion - Two Good Planers

So, I came to the conclusion that they were both planers very worthy of the money spent of them. They'd both do an excellent job in the shop and likely serve me well for many years.

So, next I had to choose between them. I mean - they are quite a different beast.

Ridgid Planer - pretty standard entry level, good quality planer. Is reported to have good controls, build, finish on planed woods, snipelessness, etc. Cost is around $350 for the planer itself, $420 for it plus the Herc-U-Lift caster set (required for my 20x20 shop) and dust
    collector/vac hookup adapter.

Dewalt Planer - pretty good next level, good quality planer. Again, reported to have good controls, build, etc - almost everything that you get with the Ridgid Planer. However, there are 2 BIG differences.

The Dewalt Planer utilizes 3 blades and provides 2 speeds. Sparing the technical details, that allows it too both provide faster/rougher and slower/smoother modes. And in the long run, the "more cuts per inch" capability of the Dewalt Planer (due to both the slower/smoother mode and the 3 blades) means that the DW735 is going to be able to create a better finish then the Ridgid planer. And that is what reviews of the two conclude.

Now, other big difference is price. The Dewalt Planer itself will run $499. And that does not include a stand, as the Ridgid planer does, or infeed / outfeed tables. Since I would consider those required, the added price comes to around $645.

That's a (holy mackerol) $225 more then the Ridgid planer.

Second Conclusion - Dewalt for Me

In the long run I decided that the Dewalt DW735 is the right choice for me. As I have limited time in the shop, the time saved by having to do less sanding, scraping, etc, will be more then worth the time in the long run. And, the fact of the matter is:
    1. I am only going to buy this once...
    2. I can get the Dewalt's price approved by the wife...
    3. Time is of the essence...
    So, I don't know if this LONG tangent is helpful to you at all. Heck - I don't even know if I've come to the right conclusion. However, I have been mulling over it for a while and feel pretty good about it. If all goes well, I might be making my purchase as soon as this weekend.
    Paul Thompson, Ardmore OK

Which Magazine???

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory
    I just got my April 2005 issue. On page 66, under Tool review is a review on bench top planers.

John
    John - Which magazine are you referring to?
    Paul Thompson, Ardmore OK

I've got a Craftsman Professional 13". I also got the maint. agreement and just got it back from service. New blades and new rollers plus a couple of other things. Blades are included in service. Blades are also reversible so I got my old blades back and can use the other side yet. All told the service bill would have been over $200. I paid $90 something for a 3 year service agreement.

Anyway it does a great job. I've only experienced snipe a couple of times. I did learn to change blades more often though, as that's what happened to the rollers. I've had mine almost 2 years now. Got it on sale with an additional 10% Craftsman Club discount plus a couple of other special coupons that brought the price down to right around $300.

Would I get another? Maybe, as I think it does as good a job as any of the other 13" planers out there, would just depend on what else is available at the time of purchase.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Duh!

Woodworkers Journal. their web site doesn't even show the April issue yet.
    sorry about the senior moment.

Paul Thompson, thanks for that detailed post - I learned two things: one, some solid and useful advice about my next tool purchase and two, there is someone else out there that is as anal as I am about tool purchases! I am not sure if it is a gift or a curse. Oh, by the way, can you post your decision spread sheet for me?

Paul,

You won't dislike the DeWalt planer -- I hear it is a great machine. But I would like to point out a couple of items that your post leaves me thinking you are misled on:

- The Ridgid comes with a DC hood that will connect to either a 2.5" or 4" hose -- does the DeWalt come with a DC hood?
    - Does the DeWalt's estimated $645 total price include a mobile base?
    - The presumed less time sanding is something I have to question. Granted I haven't had mine long and have only planed some pine during setup and mahogany after that, nonetheless I can not imagine any desire to get the wood surface smoother out of the planer unless the goal was to forego sanding completely.

It's just me, but my budget seems to be a LOT like yours and I'd be thinking TP1300 AND the drill press with money left over for wood instead of the DeWalt 735.

~ Fred

I was quite impressed with the Rigid. It served me well for over a year in a small professional environment. With some infeed and outfeed support I was even able to run 10 footers. The only problem I experienced was the locking mechanism, but that could have been due to the abuse I was putting it through, and I was able to fix it. I was forced to get into a bigger, dedicated 15" Jet when a job came in that required me to run a lot of timber for a suspended stairway in a loft. The Rigid was what I could afford at the time and it was a good first step up the ladder to the European jointer/planer combo I have today. I even have to say the cut quality was equal to, if not a little better, than the much bigger Jet. Part of that could have been due to the fact that I left the knives on the Jet too long, because I always dreaded the set up swearing session involved in resetting knives after they were re-sharpened. The Rigid knife system was relatively simple and the knives were disposable. I never played with any other lunch-box planers, but I was happy with the Rigid. Good luck with your choice.

Fred has a good point. Similarly equiped, the two planers have different price points. For the price difference, the DeWalt should be better. I own a lot of ridgid tools. When I started building my woodshop I did not know much about differences in power tools and various brands. And did not know of this forum as a resource. I went with Ridgid due to the value I saw. What you got for what you spent. The lifetime gaurantee. And with the large one time purchase I made, the store manager gave me 15% off anything I purchased from the tool department, Ridgid brand or not. And I got it interest free for 12 months. There are better power tools than the Ridgid brand I bought, but many cost more. I think for the most part, Ridgid tools are a good value. I was lucky and bought mine when they had a lifetime guarantee.

John