Thread: Shellac Grain Filling Red Oak

Shellac Grain Filling Red Oak

I first flood the entire surface with a paper towel. I then wipe it with the grain with even coverage. Last, I use a squeegee (against the grain)
    to force into the pores.

The problem with shellac is not only it burn into the previous coat but it also wakes up the previous coat which lifts up the finish.

I am wondering how some you guys are applying it? Spraying?

I don't use shellac to fill the grain on woods like red oak. Only on tight grained woods. No on red oak; no on ash.

Main reason is that shellac should not be thick and those woods require alot of shellac build to fill the grain. Also as you have found deep pores and shellac don't play nice.

If you are looking for a clear filler try Crystalac. It's a water based filler that dries hard and clear. Or your top coat could be used.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I don't use shellac to fill the grain on woods like red oak. Only on tight grained woods. No on red oak; no on ash.

Main reason is that shellac should not be thick and those woods require alot of shellac build to fill the grain. Also as you have found deep pores and shellac don't play nice.

If you are looking for a clear filler try Crystalac. It's a water based filler that dries hard and clear. Or your top coat could be used.
    Scott

What other products have your tried?

Crystalac is one my try list.

I have just used Mohawks water based filler, the stuff is like plaster.