Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterfall Bubinga Table Finish

Thank you for the clarification Scott! I misunderstoond a wipe-on varnish application because I am so used to the Sam Maloof stuff. You wipe/brush it on and let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe the excess off. After reading the Fine Woodworking article, looking back at your posts, and digging around again then it was a clear misunderstanding. That would have made it a ton better/easier. :-) Although I have to say with careful application with the brush I was able to get quite a finish on the base. The base is all done and just letting it cure for a few days to make my final determination on how smooth it is but right now it is VERY smooth.

I am spraying the chairs. So far it has gone on ok. Can't beat the speed but knowing now that you don't have to wipe off the excess then I think that wiping on may actually provide a more consistent finish without wasting so much material so I am going to try it again.

Hopefully posting pictures of the finished product on Friday.

Well. It took me longer than expected to get this done. I learned A LOT about what not to do on this project. It looks ok in the pictures but once it fully cures I am going to be spend some time rubbing out the top. Just thought I would post some pics and say thanks for the advice and help.

DSC_0076.jpgDSC_0067.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! I'd have to close up shop after building that, I'd never be able to match it.

Absolutely GORGEOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Mike,

I don't know where the "Wipe-on wipe-off" advice started; but it's NOT how you apply a wipe-on varnish. Wipe-on and leave it alone. That top top shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Wipe it on like the kid wipes the table at the hamburg joint THEN LEAVE IT ALONE!

Wipe-on and Wipe-off is most likely a miss used application technique for an oil finish (not oil based varnish) or possibly an oil/varnish blend.

8-10 wipe-on coats is minimum for the table top. Expect about 3 wipe on coats to equal one brush on coat.
    This is what Bob Flexner has to say about wiping varnishes:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/te...r-first-timers

Applying Wiping Varnish
    You can apply wiping varnish exactly like polyurethane by brushing coat after coat onto the wood. Or you can wipe on, and then wipe off, most of the excess. The more excess you leave, the greater the build.
    This second method is the easy one, and the way wiping varnish is usually applied. It's an almost foolproof finish when applied in this manner.

But, like you, I have always thought of a wiping varnish as just a thinned varnish, that you wipe and leave. The wipe on/wipe off finishes are usually oil/varnish/thinner blends.

Mike!!! WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING TO ME!!!! If my wife sees that table, I'm HOSED!!!!!! Work like that makes mine look like I used a chain saw and finished it with axle grease.

Be proud my friend, that is the kind of work I'm striving to do with more experience.... Well Done!

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Ha Ha!! Thanks for the vote of confidence! I can send you plenty of pics of projects gone wrong or the blown woodworking "budget" from all of the misc tool/equip/book/etc purchases to fix my mistakes if that would help. Still new(er) to woodworking and have a lot to learn from everyone. Loving every minute. Well, most minutes.