Thread: What is good replacement filter for Compressor

What is good replacement filter for Compressor

I have a 60 gal, 2Hp Central Machinery single stage compressor. The foam air filter has deterioriated into a pile of crumbled powder. HF was no help at getting a replacement. If I could get the correct type of foam material I would make my own to fit the filter housing.

Does any one know a source for such a product/material? I'd appreciate any input. It can't be anything too high tech is my thinking.

I have an OLD Sears that also had a crumbling filter. I took a foam filter for a lawn mower, and using electric knife cut out what I needed. Lucky for me, we have an farm supply stores that sells all kinds of filters. I just chose one which would yield what I needed.

I've had good luck using a supply/repair place on the East Coast for small compressor parts. I'll look up their info tomorrow at work, but in the meantime google Sanborn or Emglo? for parts. That's how I found this place the first time. You order the closest size felt filter that will fit, with a touch of cutting from some scissors, and you're set. Be careful of using foam as a filtering medium . You don't want any filter material getting sucked into what's probably a reed valve on your pump. Felt type filters seem to last longer and don't crumble the way that foam can.
    Last edited by Callan Campbell; 09-07-2011 at 11:16 PM.

I think the place is Jack's Small Engines in Maryland
    Last edited by Callan Campbell; 09-07-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Got the info-Master Tool Repair, out of Chesapeake VA- MasterToolRepair.com 757-547-8665- I also use Jacks Small Engine for my small engine stuff, but they also carry some things for small compressors. I looked at the Emglo air filter this morning at work on our dry sprinkler air compressor system, it's foam, not felt, but heavier/stiffer foam than what you might see for a foam filter on a lawnmower type application.
    Hope this helps you out

If there's a pipe thread connection for the filter housing, make your housing own to take a power equipment or small car filter. Just remember to record the part number of what you bought somewhere so you can get a replacement in the future.

Matt, I'm betting the pump is of the small type that just has a flat opening in the cyl. head for a thin rectangular air filter to be held in place between the casting sections. But good point, as the OP hasn't shown any pictures of their unit to go by yet. Could be the style you're talking about too...