Thread: need to refinnish my kitchen table

need to refinnish my kitchen table

Im new to spraying finishes so I have a few questions.
    First. The finish on my kitchen table turned white where the warm plates sit. (i use place mats)
    should I strip the finish or sand it down?
    After I get the finish off (i assume its a crappy finish) how should I prep the table?
    I purchased an Earlex unit to attack this project. So....what finish will be best? (it gets a lot of use) I was leaning towards water based for drying time.
    and finally what brand finish and where should I purchase it? I live in New Jersey.

Thanks
    Anthony

My first question would be What kind of finish is on the table now? Is there dye in the finish and is it solid wood or veneer. I have not refinished my table because there is veneer and dye in the finish.

Jumping to the end, I used Waterlox on a coffee table to test its toughness. Since then I have invited people to put their coffee cups and boots on the table. No damage in a couple of years. That is what I will use on my table - wipe on wipe off, many layers. Level after 30 days.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian has some very good questions.

What type of wood is the table?

Factory finished or craftsman finished?

Most factory finishes have a colored laquer or CV toner coat to even out the color. Removing this finish may reveal a very surprising wood and look. Stain and top coat will not make it an easy refinish job.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

It seems like a factory finish. Its a veneer top and I have no idea if there is dye in the finish. I assume that because the finish turned milky white where the warm plates are, that the finish was not the right choice for a kitchen table. (or a cheap finish)
    Is there a way to check to see if there is a color in the finish?
    I have to refinish the top because it looks terrible the way it is. Ill strip and gently sand the top and try to match the legs with stain as close as possible. As for the new finish....im open to suggestions and suppliers

Thanks again for your input
    Anthony

When you sand; after the chemical stripper. You should go very, very easy and don't use anything coarser than 320. Some veneers are only a 64th of an inch thick some even thinner!
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.