Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraving Denim (Aprons?)

Laser Engraving Denim (Aprons?)

This is something new, at least to me. I received this pcture in a newsletter from the manufacturer of my engraver. Periodically they post these types of things on their web site as well, new ideas and project tips.

Engraving on denim material is actually a unique idea, lots of ideas come to mind for using this technique including engraving the new SawMill Creek shop aprons. Our apron will have the SawMill Creek logo and be personalized with your name on them.

Our embroidery supplier is looking for two styles of blue denim aprons for us, a short apron and a long apron for the turners. If anyone knows of a good supplier or aprons please let me know. We would like to find a good quality apron for our members with plenty of pockets and hopefully velcro instead of cloth ties.

We could also investigate having our aprons custom made, the cost would increase but if we can order in volume we can probably get them made at a reasonable price.

We have almost 1000 members, someone must have some experience or contacts in this area.

Anyone interested in a denim shop sign?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Put me down for an apron

Hi Keith, its old grouchy again

I think the engraved apron is a really neat idea. While I don't have any sources for you, I definitely want to purchase a short version, and maybe even a long one.

BTW, when do you have time to sleep?
    Best Regards, Ken

wow! This is really neat.
    Now before I stick my best pair of jeans into the laser,
    Are you engraving directly onto the denim material and at what
    power level and speed.

BTW, I think an apron idea is great. A lot of clubs might go for that.
    peace.

Denim Engraving

Nick,

Engraving denim is very slick, from blue jeans to denim aprons and handbags. My laser is a 35 watt machine and as you know each machine is a bit different so you will have to experiment with different power levels, I always use 100% speed for denim and yep you engrave directly on the denim. For some projects you may have to make a plywood platform to raise the area to be engraved above the table and allow you to gather the garment underneath. Start with a low power setting and work your way up untill you get the desired contrast. Note that real thin denim probably won't work, it just burns the material up, normal jeans material (11 oz denium) is great.

I took a piece of scrap denim and did several samples, one graphic I engraved was a dolphin and the results were fantastic. The dolphin had lots of shading and the engraving was amazing.

Check the local colleges, this fall you can get lots of work engraving sorority and fraternity emblems on back pockets

Don't forget the racetracks, racing fans will eat up custom engraving on those denim hats...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Nick,

Engraving denim is very slick, from blue jeans to denim aprons and handbags. My laser is a 35 watt machine and as you know each machine is a bit different so you will have to experiment with different power levels, I always use 100% speed for denim and yep you engrave directly on the denim. For some projects you may have to make a plywood platform to raise the area to be engraved above the table and allow you to gather the garment underneath. Start with a low power setting and work your way up untill you get the desired contrast. Note that real thin denim probably won't work, it just burns the material up, normal jeans material (11 oz denium) is great.

I took a piece of scrap denim and did several samples, one graphic I engraved was a dolphin and the results were fantastic. The dolphin had lots of shading and the engraving was amazing.

Check the local colleges, this fall you can get lots of work engraving sorority and fraternity emblems on back pockets

Don't forget the racetracks, racing fans will eat up custom engraving on those denim hats...
    What's the approximate power setting on your 35w at 100speed? I'd like to try this, but I hate to even kill my old work jeans, they're so comfortable

Keith,

I recall hearing at some point that the process to laser mark denim is patented, just like to process to mark bricks.
    Has there been some change in the patent situation? Has anyone else heard of this?
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 03-27-2007 at 4:26 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

See patent below. As I understood it they had a patent on the process not in doing it. If there are any patent issues it would be for Universal, Epilog and the rest of the laser manufacturers. To prevent people like us from engraving denim, is like saying that the inventor of a new kind of shovel can prevent us from digging.

BTW try to find a scrap to experiment on, settings should just bleach the denim, but WILL cut through it if too much power. On my 45 watt I use 96 speed 30 power according to my notes (haven't done it in a while).

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/6252196

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,

I agree with you, and that is the patent to which I was I was referring. I just read the patent and it basically covers everything we do. Just wondering if anyone else had heard of the patent. Thanks!

I also recall being told that the denim marks better if damp. Any input?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Can I just throw my two penneth worth in here. If you are engraving blue denim, use a negative image, I've seen a lot which have been incorrectly done with a positive image.

Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

and just to prove my point, the US flag has a red stripe at the top - as can be seen from the promotional picture in the orignal posting by Keith is just such an error.

Here is how it should be....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ha, Frank, you busted Keith!!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The only problem with negative is either you have to laser the whole denim or have a dark background around the image which makes it look like something has been stuck no easy way out. Kim

Quote Originally Posted by John Hardage
    What's the approximate power setting on your 35w at 100speed? I'd like to try this, but I hate to even kill my old work jeans, they're so comfortable
    John,

My log shows that I was using 90% speed and 70% power for the denim items I engraved.

Yup!!! Gotta remember to invert that image
    Glad it was 'my' old jacket..

You're right there Bill. Actually with all due respect to anyone who has tried it, the natural tendency is not to do a negative image. I keep forgetting on just about every dark surface that I get ready to engrave, I have a load of junk to prove it.