Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Table Saw Advice

New Table Saw Advice

Hey guys,

I just sold my ridgid portable table saw and i want to purchase a cabinet saw. I'm considering the the G0691 or the G1023RLX. I've been reading the other threads about these 2 saws and i am leaning towards the G1023RLX. I probably would be happy with either though. I like the fact that the G1023 series is made in Taiwan though as opposed to China.

Anyway, the saw is going to go in my garage so space is a premium. I plan on putting the saw on some type of mobile base so i can push it against the wall. Since space is a premium i really want to build some type of cabinet system into the mobile base. Similar to this setup http://www.plansnow.com/dn3090.html but for a cabinet saw. This would give me a lot of storage, and i can dual purpose for router.

I was planning on buying the G1023RLX since it would give me the long rails i need and eventually if i built a cabinet/bench system like the link above i just wouldn't use the extension table, or i would somehow integrate it. I figured it was worth the extra money just to get the longer rails.

Last night though, i got thinking. The price difference between the G1023RL and G1023RLX is $305. I can get the Vega Pro 50 with 50" to right for $329. Or for a bit (or a lot) more i could upgrade to one of the 52" incra fence systems. Would i be better off with the vega or incra fence over the stock grizzly?

At this point im confused as to which saw i should purchase. One with an extension table or one without. One of my concerns about making a custom cabinet like those plans is how do you level a custom extension table (ie cabinet top) with the saw table?

I would appreciate it any thoughts or advice from you guys.

I love my incra fence so much that I'll move it to whatever my soon to be purchased saw upgrade will be. I'm hoping that I can buy a saw without a fence to save some money.

Since your work space is at a premium like for most of us, consider the shorter length rail version if you don't need the extra length on a regular basis (regardless of model).

I've had the G0691 for a couple of years and think it's a terrific saw. However, I seldom cut sheet goods and have discovered that the extra length that the G0691 offers is just a place to accumulate clutter in my shop. I use my saw mostly for hardwood furniture projects where most of the use is processing lumber. So, if I were have a "do over", I would have gotten the G0690 and gained a bit more floor space. My most valuable accessories for my saw (and for my needs) are the cross cut sled and out-feed extension table. BTW, you'll still have room for a router with the smaller top.

If the opposite were true and I did a bunch of sheet goods work, I'd probably go all out and get a slider.
    Stan

A saw table extension has to be precisely aligned otherwise your fence is going to bind or go off square. I think it unwise to try to have a moveable extension. Unsupported rails can easily get bent. You are going to pull on them for sure when you go to move the saw because those mobile bases do NOT roll all that well or easily. And if you have a table/cabinet attached to the rails, I can guarantee you will end up bending them. When you bend a rail you won't notice it, you will only notice that your fence is no longer square no matter what you do.

I can't really help your decision about which saw to get, but can tell you that even though the Vega is a very nice fence, I don't see there being anything gained by switching it out with the Shop Fox fence, other than possibly personal preference. Having owned both a Vega and a Shop Fox Classic, I think both are similarly capable IMHO....the Vega's microadjust is pretty slick, but I thick the SF Classic is more robust.

The Incra is in a different league for accuracy, repeatibility, and precision, etc., but is not without it's downsides...cost, space to the right of the blade, and even the lack of convenience of moving the fence out of the way easily. Since neither Grizzly saw is available without the fence, I'd give it a try before you make a decision about an upgrade...it's really a pretty nice fence...very similar to the Biese, Exacta, HTC, and other aftermarket t-square style fences. You may find that it suits your needs nicely...if not, then consider an upgrade later.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I had the Vega fence on my contractor's saw (now my son in laws) and loved it. In fact my new saw came with a 52" Biese and I have found that the Vega is much easier to remove from the saw then the Biese and has a micro adjust feature that when needed is nice. I can't compare it to the Shop Fox, but if they are about the same price, based on my experence, I would go with the Vega. As to the Incra, I agree with Scott - it is in a totally different league, and price point.

What's the perceived difference between tools made in the Republic of China, and those made in the People's Republic of China? I would think you could get good and bad in both. Same as US made, or Mexican, Spanish, whatever it may be.

It's true that you can get a clunker built anywhere. But...

For all of the "Proudly made in the USA" stickers that I've seen in my Canadian life I have to say that I'm disappointed with all of the import chatter on this site - largely from citizens of the US! Economic recovery is literally around the corner if you get on with it and spend your money on USA (Canadian/European - olive branch and open minded) quality made goods. I'm no union man but the prevalence of import goods and the current economic status of the US is as obvious as the proverbial trail of crumbs.

LN and LV hand planes are defacto; hell Festool is a cult, why are the machines you're buying cut from a cheaper cloth?

I have the stock 52" Delta Unisaw with the stock mobile base. Granted, it supports both the saw and the ext. table. I don't move the saw that often, but it moves easily and stays aligned once I'm done . While I agree with Harvey about the issue of possible problems with tables and bases, Delta seems to have done a nice job with it. Copy what they, and anyone who's also got a nice fully supporting base unit have done and make your tight space work for you as you need it to. Might take some work, but it will be worth it. I'm always grateful for the mobility in my basement shop.

You can integrate a cabinet system with any saw. I built my own mobile system and the cabinet is built onto the base.DSCN2644-1.jpg It in turn supports the rails and newly built extension table. DSCN2717.jpg I have an adjustment piece like this on each side of the cabinet. It adjusts front to back separately so that the entire extension is supported. The extension table is a torsion box with 3/4" MDF webbing, and 1/2" MDF skins. Barely visible are two T-nuts with bolts to do fine adjustment, then the outer rail you see uses thumb wheels from T-track to lock it down in position. The left side of the extension table is screwed into the factory CI wing, and even it has a little wiggle room for adjustment. It has worked very well for me.
    Oh, as you can see, I have the G0691. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 09-10-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

If you have been reading the threads I am sure you probably seen my 1023RL. I bought the short rail and shifted it to the right for some extra rip capacity. Ethher way you would have room for a router. I made my own extension table out of MDF and formica. It is probably better made than anything that will come with it. I would make the extension table separate from the storage. It is easier to adjust the extension that way. The Shop Fox classic fence is a plenty capable fence. I have never had the Vega but I am not suer it is worth the upgrade. AS others have stated, the incra is in another league. Maybe I misread another comment about bending the rails, but there is no way you will bend the Shop Fox Classic rails moving it around on the moble base. The front rail is a 2"x3" steel tube attached to a 3"x3"(?) angle iron that is around 3/16" thick.

DSC_0210.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    If you have been reading the threads I am sure you probably seen my 1023RL. I bought the short rail and shifted it to the right for some extra rip capacity. Ethher way you would have room for a router. I made my own extension table out of MDF and formica. It is probably better made than anything that will come with it. I would make the extension table separate from the storage. It is easier to adjust the extension that way. The Shop Fox classic fence is a plenty capable fence. I have never had the Vega but I am not suer it is worth the upgrade. AS others have stated, the incra is in another league. Maybe I misread another comment about bending the rails, but there is no way you will bend the Shop Fox Classic rails moving it around on the moble base. The front rail is a 2"x3" steel tube attached to a 3"x3"(?) angle iron that is around 3/16" thick.

DSC_0210.jpg
    Cary,

Yes i have seen yours. What you have done is very similar to what i want to do. Custom base and all. By moving the rails to the right how much rip capacity did you gain? I also am considering the Grizzly Sliding table. If i remember correctly i think i read on another thread that you had the jessem? Is that available anymore? I couldnt seem to find it anywhere. How far does it stick out the back of the saw when the table is pulled all the way towards you the user?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    You can integrate a cabinet system with any saw. I built my own mobile system and the cabinet is built onto the base.DSCN2644-1.jpg It in turn supports the rails and newly built extension table. DSCN2717.jpg I have an adjustment piece like this on each side of the cabinet. It adjusts front to back separately so that the entire extension is supported. The extension table is a torsion box with 3/4" MDF webbing, and 1/2" MDF skins. Barely visible are two T-nuts with bolts to do fine adjustment, then the outer rail you see uses thumb wheels from T-track to lock it down in position. The left side of the extension table is screwed into the factory CI wing, and even it has a little wiggle room for adjustment. It has worked very well for me.
    Oh, as you can see, I have the G0691. Jim.
    Thanks for the pics and info Jim! Exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

Here is just one path im considering (i have like 3 different paths that i could do), Grizzly doesnt have the G1023RLX in stock right now and probably wont for 2 months. Im a little impatient so i was thinking of getting the G1023RL with the standard rails, build my own extension table/cabinet and then purchase aftermarket fence system since like the incra or vega to get the long rails so i have 50+" rip. I save $305 by purchasing the G1023RL over the G1023RLX which i could use toward an aftermarket fence. My concern was if i am biting off more then i can chew and is it worth it...since i dont have a cabinet saw nor have i ever owned one i am not sure exactly how to make sure the whole ordeal is level and flat if i build my own. So basically i would get additional storage integrated plus if i went with the incra, a better fence system for a bit more money...

Clarification

I want a cabinet saw with 50+ rip capacity. I am also considering either a sliding table attachment or an incra miter 5000 sled.

I have a 20x40 RV garage attached to my house. Wood working is jsut one of my hobbies so i cannot leave the saw out in the middle of the garage. I got other toys that need to go there like my toy hauler, utv etc.. So all my tools need to move to the sides of the garage. I am thinking of storing the table saw in the back corner, that way if i get a sliding table it will be against the back wall and not stick out to far and reduce the width of a RV or whatever i pull into the garage.

Money is an issue and that's why i have decided on Grizzly. I feel its the best bang for the buck for what i'll need for next 20-30 years.

My options...

1) G1023RLX - out of stock, 6-8 weeks. EDIT: Just called and have confirmed date of oct 7th.
    2) G0691
    3) G1023RL + aftermarket fence with long rails and custom extension table/cabinet

No matter which saw i get, i want to utilize the space under the extension table for storage and put the whole setup on a mobile base.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dyer View Post
    Cary,

Yes i have seen yours. What you have done is very similar to what i want to do. Custom base and all. By moving the rails to the right how much rip capacity did you gain? I also am considering the Grizzly Sliding table. If i remember correctly i think i read on another thread that you had the jessem? Is that available anymore? I couldnt seem to find it anywhere. How far does it stick out the back of the saw when the table is pulled all the way towards you the user?

Thanks!
    Ryan,
    I don't think JessEm is making them anymore. Yo can't find them online anywhere. I know a local place here in town tht still has one but that is about it.When you pull the table all the way towards the user there is nothing that sticks out the back. In it's locked stored position(front of table flush with front of the saw table), the table sticks out 12.5" past the table. It sticks out 16.5 " from the left of the table. I have a rip capacity of about 34 inches. I shifted my bracket and tube because of the sliding table. I think others have reported a gain of 10" (total (36"?)if you just shift the tube by one screw.
    Cary